I miss ska-punk

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/18/i-miss-ska-punk.html

4 Likes

That Operation Ivy album has been in continuous rotation since about 1994, it holds up. Really well.

“I always looked up to the ones who walked away, choosing themselves over preset ways. Of looking at a future that had no room for the questions they lived for”

…was a solid choice for a yearbook quote decades ago and I stand by my decision!

17 Likes

Skankin’ Pickle

6 Likes

The Hard Times: Jonathan Zeller - Doomsday Preppers Ready for Fourth Wave of Ska.

5 Likes

I don’t miss it, but only because I’ve been listening to it continuously since the mid-90s.

Yeah, I’m that person.

14 Likes

Operation Ivy FTW!

1 Like

I miss playing really bad ska-punk to people who really enjoyed it. I miss really enjoying having really bad ska-punk played to me.

How glorious we were together, our confederacy of spazzes.

7 Likes

I’ve been a ska and rock steady fan for many years. But I never was a fan of ska-punk. It may be because I came of age during the Two-Tone era. Perhaps if I grew up during the 90’s it would have made more of an imprint on me. I did continue to find ska that I enjoyed in the 90’s like Let’s Go Bowling, The Busters, and The Pietasters. And if you want to see a GREAT newer ska band, go see The Delirians. They are really fun!

5 Likes

Op Ivy was great. Then they became Rancid. Rancid was great.

<—from FL, so I got to see Less Than Jake for ~$5!

4 Likes

Back when I went out, at one goth night I used to frequent one of the regular DJs always did a ska set early in the evening. It was great fun seeing the goths skanking across the dance floor!

skanking

12 Likes

In my experience a lot of goths have a fairly wide appreciation for music.

11 Likes

Yeah, agreed. The DJ who would spin that set was the one known for playing lots of harder edged industrial too.

Anyway… those were the days…

south-park-goth-kids-dance

Also, I had to go in a Game Stop today to buy a Christmas present, and my friend and I saw two cute little punks, and the girl had a chelsea! They were so cute, I just wanted to squish them and tell them how cute they were! But I did not…

10 Likes

This is The Old Dude, Howard J Reynolds, and you’re listening to Less Than Jake!

5 Likes

Russian and Ska Punk go well together like vodka and orange juice.

Looks like fun da?

6 Likes
7 Likes

I have felt this feeling more than a few times. I also restrained from acting foolish.

6 Likes

I’m not into ska-punk (although I’m into punk), but this sounds like something that would be fun to experience in a concert and as close to the stage as possible.

2 Likes

In my youth, I experienced a punk show from super close to the stage, but to the side of the mosh pit. No idea who they were, it was at some dilapidated venue in the middle of the desert. When the pit moved toward me, my friend (who was moshing) picked me up and threw me into a speaker where I clung for several minutes until the pit moved again.

I heard crickets for days after that, and probably have permanent hearing loss, but he got a black eye and a bloody nose, so I’m glad he did it.

6 Likes

Best punk/ska/funk show I ever attended was at the Palladium Theater in Hollywood. Fishbone!!! Some fans included guys with their gals riding on their shoulders and bopping inches from the massive floor speakers there… and while we were being deafened way up in the balcony – which gave us an excellent view of the massive mosh pit that had formed near the stage. Lead singer Angelo Moore, shirtless and sweating like a manic, hurled himself into the crowd at the edge of the pit. People passed him around like a beach ball. That was a wonderful night.

6 Likes

Did you ever find the secret track on that CD? If you rewind PAST the beginning of Automatic there was about 1.5min of Harry J Reynolds talking about getting busted by the husband of some girl he was involved with. True story!

2 Likes