I PARKED IN A BIKE LANE stickers

Ya, this is what I had in mind and from the looks of it, they should be getting fined (and some are) by parking enforcement, not getting stickers stuck to their car by self-rigorous aholes.

Edit: Actually, taking pictures and posting them on the internet seems like a fine idea too. Doesn’t require any vandalism and might accomplish the same social pressure to get them to not do it anymore as a sticker they remove after they see it does.

1 Like

No one is saying that and, as someone who spent 10 years driving at or below the posted speed limit, I can assure you that drivers are not, on average, driving a few decimals of an mph over the limit.

Even in areas with heavy enforcement of speed limit laws, I still get rapidly, aggressively, and (wherever it is illegal to do so) illegally passed by just about every car on the road. And I’m in a car.

The stop sign thing has been explained by cyclists before and in basically every thread that has ever come up on this subject. I don’t remember it because I’m not a cyclist and didn’t think I’d need to at any point. I remember thinking the explanation was fairly reasonable like if they don’t, people in cars who aren’t paying attention will side swipe them. As a more-than-occasional pedestrian, that sounds extremely reasonable.

When I’ve got the Walk light, if I take advantage of my right of way, someone in a car will murder me (you say vehicular manslaughter, I say murder). This happens literally every time I cross an intersection where a right hand turn crossing my crosswalk is a possibility.

But I also got the impression from cyclists that the stop sign thing still isn’t anywhere near as common as you’re making it out to be.

4 Likes

The solution to bad law enforcement is better law enforcement. Enforcing the law yourself doesn’t strike me as particularly useful. People on Boing Boing seem to love this shit, and I can’t, for the life of me, understand why.

Direct confrontation would be, you know, directly confronting them (or possibly filling their car with feral badgers). This is the equivalent of a sternly-worded anonymous letter. It doesn’t deal with anything, and just leaves the the other party feeling slightly annoyed.

Incidentally, would you like to buy some of my “I exploit the proletariat” temporary tattoos? They’re the latest rage in class warfare.

Should we continue just clotheslining them until the stickers are ready?

1 Like

Agreed. I can understand less severe consequences for less dangerous code breaking, but the way forward seems to be for cyclists and those who share the road with them to treat cyclists as responsible road users, with appropriate rights and consequences for acting like an asshole toward drivers, cyclists and pedestrians. I say this as someone who does everything they can to avoid using a car. Where I am, the police will fine you if you don’t have working lights and brakes, if you’re riding in the wrong place or if you’re a danger to others (you don’t have to wear a helmet though). We’re not special cases, just another class of transport with our own set of requirements.

2 Likes

Meh. My own experience says otherwise, but as this whole argument is basically anecdotal, perhaps we should just agree to disagree.

We’ve tried encouraging LEOs to do their jobs better for as long as there have been LEOs. This strategy has clearly not worked.

The most effective anti-speeding campaign I have ever seen was done by a group of neighbors who (in contravention of local sign laws) made a bunch of signs telling everyone driving through their neighborhood that kids are around and please don’t speed because you’re going to kill someone.

2 Likes

Where have I said any such thing? I was telling him that the rest of the world might just park differently than people do on his street. He honestly didn’t seem to understand that.

And my attitude is not self-righteous. It’s regular righteous, earned by not being incorrect.

What program would you like me to get with? The one where you stop adding to what I said and then calling me out for what you add? After you, good sir.

I’m not going to respond to your derailment attempts

You also don’t know what one is, and say so above.

I do not think taking the law into your own hands is ok either.

But you ask what remedy you should enforce on scofflaws, above.

Based on the first two contradictions from your earlier statements, I don;t believe your third statement.

And I think you’re vandalizing our imaginations with your double-talk.

Better to leave the responses to your own, like this one?

or this one

so the laws just don’t apply to cyclists?

What IS the topic, moderator Pedge?

Oh how I wish this software had an ignore button…

your wetware does. Your compulsions are your issue. Or is it someone elses responsibility?

As it seems to be whenever bike safety comes up in this forum.

and fyi, the derail pun was pretty good.

1 Like

You also don’t know what one is.

Wow, I at least thought you could understand pictures. I know I can so when someone posted pictures, I saw exactly what I said, “parking in a bike lane” is essentially parking half in the road and should be ticketed by parking or law enforcement.

But you ask what remedy you should enforce on scofflaws, above.

Wow, can’t recognize sarcasm either. Sorry I didn’t realize you were so challenged. No big deal, you’re right, carry on.

2 Likes

But you didn’t ask, and you spoke of your ignorance of laws you are responsible to know but proud to not.

How was I to know you wanted to be informed? Maybe I might have informed you in a friendly way, had you asked. You did not.

I can, however, recognize backpedaling fools.

I see absolutely no problem with campaigning to raise awareness or to improve law enforcement (however ineffective this has been in the past). I draw the line at vigilantism. I guess these stickers aren’t even that, since they’re not really a deterrent. It just seems like a slacktivist alternative to actual campaigning.

Oh, I understood and was posting in response to beanolini’s photos that this is clearly not a universal problem, hence the diversity of responses. There are a lot of assumptions in your posts, norway maple. Including the “he” part.

Why is your specific epithet capitalized? Talk about breaking the law! That is driving me more crazy than your self-righteous posts!

I also point out: The people who made the stickers seem pretty well aware that sticking them on other people’s cars is wrong legally, morally and generally against common sense based on the disclaimer they provide.

Really? I mean, that does sound safer, but that’s really the law? Citation, please.

Thanks for asking, I use ‘him’ as default. Is that a way of telling me I am incorrect to do so?

also, what specific epithet? acer platanoides? It is not my responsibility if you think me LITERALLY a tree. I submit that you have some responsibility in reigning in your imagnination on that front. I have a hard enough time with my own imagination to be wrangling such responsibilities as having to behave like a tree because someone online imagines I should be :wink:

Also, the mods made me change it because having it lowercase broke their system. That’s the truth.