I refuse to believe that this "smart" salt shaker is real

Yeah, that’s more or less how it’s been talked about - a collection of “smart” objects collating health-related data for your doctor. The reality ends up being something, else, of course…

“My fork has run out of power” is not something I thought I’d ever hear.

2 Likes

You know… If you could actually say this in a presentation while keeping a straight face, I believe that you have a potentially lucrative career in marketing waiting for you.

Nice! It would be neat if it were a salt vampire, and could emulate Legacy of Kain spells where it extracts salt instead of blood from various appetizers. Maybe sub back in cannily among ghost pepper, turnip, garam masala etc. Vim bindings for your palate! Puts the fiddle factor back in, as it were. Could still be marketed as SįƝƓƖËƤÄƛƏƦ if it croaked out calming speed metal and punk homilies.

5 Likes

You are insufficiently acquainted with 1970s MAD issues, which featured (among other utensils) the motorised spoon for grapefruit-segment extraction, with a windscreen wiper for the squirt guard; and the powered knife for tough steaks.

2 Likes

Wireless, yet connected. Needs power. That means it is… Smalt and battery.

1 Like

At the risk of not entirely ridiculing this, it looks more like a Bluetooth speaker that for some reason has a built in salt shaker.

(It is entirely ridiculous though.)

1 Like

No, no, no, I said send out a salt drone… I didn’t mean…

TAKE COVER!!!

4 Likes

The device, as you’re most likely aware of, is not the only source of salt for a person. In fact i can’t recall the last time i used a salt shaker in my life. Usually i don’t add salt to my food while cooking because the majority of the salt is already being provided by certain ingredients. If i ever need to add salt it’s usually not that much. SO using the device as a way to track salt consumption is pretty silly because it’s missing salt from all other sources. Now if someone incorporated something in a fitness tracker that could measure concentrations of certain compounds in the body, that sounds actually useful.

1 Like

3 Likes

Just a reminder to everyone learning about this incredible innovation:

Murder is wrong.

Okay okay, not ALL murder, but remember to make a reasoned case for it before undertaking it.

Just going to leave this here ref the jocular notes that it could monitor/restrict salt intake and snitch on you to your doctor

The great thing about numerical precision is that it is pretty much indistinguishable from accuracy to the careless observer.

For the reasons you note, the results will be worthless garbage; but they’ll be very precise worthless garbage, potentially tied to a bunch of colorful and space-wasting visualizations; and what higher calling is there for data?

1 Like

Actually, that element was a real disappointment. There appears to be no mention of a ‘compatible’ partner-brand salt; much less cryptographically verified salt-refill-cartridges-as-a-service(with a deceptively priced and hard to cancel subscription, obviously); which seems like a wasted opportunity.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s my dad in the kitchen.

Years ago, at a community corn roast my dad brought his own saltshaker - just in case there wasn’t enough salt there.

Actually, he went to the china cabinet and got my mums crystal saltshaker and brought it to the beach with him. The grandkids freaked out when he took it out of his pocket “if nannie sees that she’s going to kill you!”.

He just smiled, and dumped half the saltshaker on a piece of corn.

Dad’s 91 this year, and still carries a salt shaker with him. Legend.

2 Likes

I have family members who like some seriously salty food, but I think your dad has them all beat. He’s made it to 91, though, so more power to him.

My dad just likes the spiciest food possible. I remember watching him bite into an habanero pepper once, and then ask me if I wanted one.

This is great, but does it also measure my daily intake of microplastics?

1 Like

I think I actually do remember that. Which is probably why I never expected to hear it said seriously.

Yeah, it’s ridiculous. I think the vision that was presented (which was also ridiculous) was that there would be this constellation of smart objects that would track all sorts of things (e.g. bar code scanner that records the food items you buy) that would collectively put together a picture of your food intake. But as you say, there are big enough holes in that, however it’s done, that it’s still meaningless.

Nope. Bored of the Rings and Doon are both great. Like Cliff Notes, but funny.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.