I remember 'Moby Dick and the Mighty Mightor'

I might have been a little old by the time it came out but Land of the Lost really WAS a cut above most of the Saturday morning fare, even the other Sid and Marty Croft productions. Of course the cartoon that I really liked that few seem to remember was Skyhawks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlOF1CG6vsk

5 Likes

What is it with old men in caves giving out weapons to every one but me? All I ever got from them were therapy bills.

3 Likes

“Does anyone here have an aardvark?”

I only got to see Bob McAllister as a host, but I loved him.

1 Like

I just barely remember Sonny Fox*. McAllister was great; funny, never smarmy, gamely kept up the formula year after year.

Channel 5 WNEW had some cool weekday kid live-action shows. Sandy Becker, Chuck McCann, and Paul Winchell’s ventriloquist show. (Which Wikipedia says only ran three years, but that was an eternity when you were a kid.)

I loved cartoons as a kid, but there was something neat about those hosted shows.

*O.M.F.G. Sonny Fox is STILL ALIVE

1 Like

Call me Ishmael!

2 Likes

Watching tv with my 2 yo, its damn hard to find meaningless entertainment. Even Blaze and the Monster Machines is ham-fistedly laden with math and morality interjections.

You have to be careful with trying to actively waste time though, it might turn out to be a prodictivity booster, no matter how hard you try…

2 Likes

Why didn’t the old man just use the magic club himself and become Mighty Mightor? Show ends right there… I love throwing sticks in the bike spokes.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was a huge fan of Jerry Mahoney and Knucklehead Smiff and I thought Paul Winchell was great. I remember reading somewhere that - besides being the original voice of Disney’s version of Tigger, he held a patent on an artificial heart valve or some other fancy medical equipment.

OK… It was an entire artificial heart:

I don’t think that I discovered Chuck McCann until I was an adult, but the guy is hilarious in the videos that I’ve seen.

3 Likes

“I’m pretty sure this cartoon was a complete waste of time.”

It definitely was for me; just Jonny Quest and Space Ghost sufficed. Nothing else worked.

3 Likes

And yet another brainy celebrity; that’s Hedy… not Hedley:

3 Likes

For cell phone chimes?

2 Likes

I’d like to get an email to McCann, just to say “thanks man!”

With a few exceptions* (that I know of) kid shows these days are the products of many hands. Those old hosted shows were largely shaped by the guy (almost always) in charge. Grown-ups working on cheap sets with puppets and sometimes a studio audiences of unpredictable kids. There time won’t come again.

(Fun Fact: “Krusty the Clown” was based on a Portland-area TV host, a clown named Rusty Nails. Way before my time – the host died a few years after I moved to the area – but I read that Matt Groening was vaguely frightened by the name (which screamed blood and tetanus), if not the actual character.)

*Bill Nye comes to mind.

2 Likes

…ping pong balls, seltzer bottles, and even cream pies. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.