I wanted a glass stovetop tea kettle

The vinegar is plenty strong enough. Let it sit, or boil it if you can’t
wait.

1 Like

Boiling for 15 minutes has no noticeable effect except making the house smell.

Barkeeper’s Friend (crystalized oxalic acid) cleans it off in no time.

Water here is hard. It puts scale on sinks & toilets that LimeAway barely touches; I get it off with hard scrubbing, coarse scotchbrite and oxalic acid. Your minerals may differ!

2 Likes

Glass Kettles on flat-glass-top stoves: Don’t worry, they’ve thought of that! The kettle/pot/boiling-water-holder comes with a small metal pad, basically a piece of wire bent into a three-leaf-clover shape, that you are supposed to rest the kettle on when heating if you aren’t using a gas range. I’m not sure exactly what the physical difference is, but my suspicion is that it allows more even heating of the pot than a direct contact with the burner would provide.

We’ve had one for close to a decade now, and the kettle is holding up better than the wire pad thingy.

1 Like

I see. I did not know. I have never met a mineral deposit that vinegar
didn’t clear, but I haven’t seen a large sample of locations/deposits.

1 Like

You shouldn’t try to be more catholic than the pope, eh. I’ve had tea in some fancy places in the UK and it was served in silver and stainless steel pots. On BritRail, it was metal:

And some modern design are very elegant, if you ask me:

Just because some fancy places have lost touch with their roots doesn’t make it right. The Brown Betty is the people’s teapot, the pot of the sturdy British working class. :slight_smile: Also, it keeps the tea hotter.

I admit that it’s possible my opinion of metal teapots has been coloured by my experience with these little stainless restaurant-supply abominations, standard in every Canadian restaurant for decades, famous for dribbling a hot tea-like liquid all over the table.

I actually own one just like this that I bought at a yard sale.

This is a Swan Brand, aluminum (aluminium if you prefer) pot, made in England. I got it to use as a kettle when canoe camping - the wide base makes it stable on a one-burner stove, We have made tea and coffee successfully in it, but it doesn’t have the elegance of ceramic.

One great advantages of metal teapots with a hinged lid is that, when you’re in a proper Chinese restaurant and you’ve run out of tea, you can open the lid, letting it lie upside down over the handle. This signals the waiter two things: 1) you’re a savvy restaurant patron, 2) you want more tea. He/she can then swoop by your table, slap the lid shut to great effect, and carry the pot off.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.