I wonder what ridiculous thing we are doing or advertising now will be most amusing to those observing 30 years later

Continuing the discussion from Vintage ads for ill-advised pets-by-mail:

The first thing that popped into my head was:
Power Balance - Wrist Band

2 Likes

Activated almonds.

I wonder how much of the global demand for almonds is driving the drought in California. AIUI, a significant chunk of the world’s nuts are from CA* and almond farms need a fair amount of water.

*Fill in your own joke here!

3 Likes

How about a giant 1,000-ft waterside in very-dry downtown L.A.?

I’m not joking. September 28th, they’re setting up the giant slide, and raking in the cash.

1 Like

Typing.

2 Likes

5 Likes

we don’t wait 30 years now that we have the internet.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Perhaps they could buy that 55 gallon drum of lube off of Amazon instead.

4 Likes

My mother-in-law drinks that stuff like water…

I connected these two comments and came to a very wrong conclusion.

7 Likes

A keyboard… how quaint.

5 Likes

I can’t find the quote, but I think that Frank Lloyd Wright said something along the lines: The country is tilted – all the nuts fall off the trees and roll out to California.

1 Like

Hunted for a bit, and found this page with three similar quotes - no nuts are provided.

America is built on a tilt, and everything loose slides towards California. - Mark Twain

(The earliest searchable online use I found of this was 2003 during the Davis recall. It’s attributed, but not dated.)

[I]n Los Angeles all the loose objects in the country were collected, as if America had been tilted and everything that wasn’t tightly screwed down had slid into Southern California. - Saul Bellow

(Quote from Seize the Day)

If you tilt the whole country sideways, Los Angeles is the place where everything loose will fall. - Frank Lloyd Wright

(Attributed. Earliest occurrence found in: Holiday, Volume 2, Issues 1-6 (Curtis Publishing Company, 1947), p. 33)

3 Likes

seriously though? hain’t gonna happen.
because we will always have “do what I mean not what you think I maybe said in this horribly inefficient relational language” of spoken, idiomatic english. Plus: subways and motorcycles. Although it’s hard to type on a motorcycle as well. hrm. Probably “solved” there with pupil-monitoring…

(this still haunts my sleep, Rob)

2 Likes

I do recall that he did specify L.A. rather than CA, so that was probably the line.

1 Like

LOL, same thought, different brain.

1 Like

I entertain myself by doing that much too often…

2 Likes

2 Likes