I would love a Bob Dylan cover of "Centerfold" by The J. Geils Band

He could at least have the decency to do a darker, slower cover of Beyond the Sea under the name Bobbie Dylan. That would make my day.

2 Likes

I was 14 when this came out. Let’s just say the girls in this video had a profound effect on me back then.

I teach high school and lot of my students listen to 70’s and 80’s music all the time since they find the current stuff drivel. Nothing cooler than some 16 year old kid trying to play “Sweet Child of Mine” and “Don’t Stop Believing” on a guitar. When I ask them why they are learning such old songs. they say everything is crap nowadays. I really can’t argue with them, especially when a student puts on some Drake. Ugh.

Drake’s full name is Aubrey Drake Graham. He is the nephew of legendary bassist Larry Graham.

He got none of the musical talent in that family.

Ok this is driving me nuts. Maybe someone can help me because google is failing me. There was a popular song by a female singer in the 80s… I heard her say that when she wrote it she was trying to write in the style of bob dylan. The song doesn’t really sound like Dylan because it’s a female singer and it’s produced more like a rock/pop song but the melody, one it’s pointed out, totally sounds like a Dylan inflection… ah. It’s driving me crazy that I can’t remember the song…

:flushed:

3 Likes

Agreed. I’m not interested in any version of a song where a grown man sings about teenage girls, especially not one that starts, “Does she walk, does she talk, does she come complete?”

And such a shame his adult spank bank of innocent teenage girls is totally ruined by a grown woman appearing as a centerfold.

5 Likes

Oh, that one’s easy:

1 Like

runs to confirm those two songs were a decade apart. Eight years is a decade, right?

I’m not sure what the magical transition point between adolescence and adult is, but for me it’s about halfway between those two songs.

CXCp52fC0n9m2b3hpPAysumJo1_500

Lol. Not that one. But that would make for an interesting Dylan cover. LOL

1 Like

Aerobics!

1 Like

Considering the crap I’d already gotten from my dad when he walked in when “Brick House” was on the radio, this was a song I was really scared of him walking in on or he probably would have taken the radio away. It didn’t take much innuendo to go over his head but it did require some.

1 Like

How much is some? “She Bop”? “Turning Japanese”?

2 Likes
1 Like

I was thinking “Bette Davis Eyes”, but Kim Carnes didn’t write the song…

2 Likes

Man… so much shaking the fists at the kids in this thread… There is good shit out there, but one just needs to maybe take a chance and be open minded?

3 Likes

He had a lovely voice.

1 Like

That’s actually the one I was thinking of. Although google is failing me at finding a reference… I feel like I heard an interview on npr… was it with cranes describing the way she was singing or the original songwriter I’m not sure. I know I didn’t make this up out of nowhere.

In any case, yeah Bette Davis eyes sounds like it could be sung by Dylan for sure.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.