Ian Fleming's James Bond novels are either free or $2 as Kindle editions

My favorite Moore movie is easily A View to a Kill. He is already a weird grandpa, Walken and Jones are just strange. The Duran Duran soundtrack is phenomenal. All together is just such a bizarre experience. And the zeppelin! Another BB commenter recently accused me of being surreal, but this is exactly what I’m into.

5 Likes

The best Bond film is, of course, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

The only film where Bond, the love interest, and the villain are all more than caricatures of themselves, where we have plot and character development that make sense, and the action sequences are both awesome and yet not overshadowed by gadgets.

4 Likes

That Intro. I adore the classic Bond songs.

1 Like

I read (and liked) Thunderball and The Man with the Golden Gun, the only ones that were at hand when I was growing up. Needless to say, the book version of Golden Gun has almost nothing in common with the movie other than the names of some of the principals.

I can understand why movies can be quite different from their respective books, even when they roughly follow the plot. Just trying to cram the plot into a two-hour-or-so movie means omitting a lot of helpful details and background. My parents never understood 2001: A Space Odyssey, but they never read the book. For me, there was a lot in the movie version of The Godfather that didn’t make sense to me until I read the book.

But with the Bond films, the plots are so different (as with Golden Gun, where even the gun is vastly different) that I’m surprised Eon didn’t get the franchise yanked from them.

2 Likes

Aye, Dalton is one of my favourite Bonds. Craig, however, is shite, IMO.

1 Like

Who doesn’t love Zeppelins?

1 Like

Umm, the book was Clarke’s novelization of his screenplay written with Kubrick. 2nd time this week I’ve needed to post this factoid! The movie was pretty impenetrable, and I was a huge Clarke fan as a teen.

1 Like

[quote=“gellfex, post:28, topic:92762, full:true”]Umm, the book was Clarke’s novelization of his screenplay written with Kubrick. 2nd time this week I’ve needed to post this factoid! The movie was pretty impenetrable, and I was a huge Clarke fan as a teen.
[/quote]

I didn’t know that… but it makes sense. It still makes me feel old that 2001, which was once The Future™, is now firmly in the past.

Writing near-future material that doesn’t become dated, whether explicitly like A Space Odyssey or implicitly due to language, technology, or scientific discoveries, isn’t an easy task. Stories set on Venus quickly vanished once it was revealed that its mean surface temperature is hotter than Mercury’s, and that its atmosphere is heavy and corrosive to boot.

1 Like

Although, it is a trifle odd that Blofeld doesn’t recognize Bond, but yeah internally it is pretty consistent. Also my favorite of the Bond films.

2 Likes

I grew up w/ Roger Moore as ‘my’ James Bond in my teenage years. Connery just seemed too old and the others seemed like kidz to me…

I’ve never read any of the books, but now will try a few.

Funny thing is Moore is actually older than Connery, but it’s true he didn’t look it.

Holy bleep . . . Are you serious??

1 Like

LOL: I just checked & Moore iz 3 years older !

1 Like

Which is why the better SF moved beyond “stupid science tricks” stories with gimmicks to better storytelling about people where even if they get it wrong the story is still compelling. Clarke’s ‘A fall of Moondust’ turned out not to be correct in the science post Apollo but is still a great book.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.