Manbabies react to announcement that a black woman is the new 007

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/15/manbabies-react-to-announcemen.html

16 Likes

53 Likes

GrimyVictoriousHalicore-small

35 Likes

Newsflash: Ian Fleming only wrote a handful of James Bond books, they ran out of original 007 stories sometime during the Roger Moore era.

34 Likes

It’s funny because the same neckbeards would tie themselves into knots trying to justify this as being good

16 Likes

53 Likes

Are these the same people that declared the franchise dead and buried because they had the nerve to cast a blond actor in the lead?

22 Likes

This makes it very clear that “007” is a designation that is not exclusive to James Bond. So they can go forward without a “Jane Bond”, or other awkward name.

Most people thought that they might start moving away from white men with, say Idris Elba, but going with both a woman, and a POC is a bold move.

45 Likes

I love how this is going to piss off the haters. That is likely to be more entertaining than the movie.

27 Likes

This is a bunch of the kind of dudes who rank women on a ten-point scale being offended by…a woman receiving a numeric designation.

48 Likes

Hey, I like commiserating on the idiocy of broflakes as much as anyone here, but…this is what they want. They want everyone to talk about their opinions. Let’s just ignore them, and let them dissolve into puddles of impotent froth.

12 Likes

Can I just step in to say I love what they’ve done with the casting and characters in the new Spider-Man movies. The fact that they decided to not be held to mimicking the original background characters means they were able to develop new ones who are relevant, fresh and not just boring stereotypes like characters like flash and Mary Jane were in the comics.

8 Likes

“How dare they change this fantasy character that never existed! What’s next, some kind of female Superman or something?!”

19 Likes

Nah, the people behind the film want everyone to talk about their opinions, because it makes front-page news and gets the outrage engines clattering.

The day may very well come when news like this will be met with open arms or at least with general indifference by the majority of ticket-purchasers, and the clueless 2% or whatever will still be sought out for their moronic hot takes because that’s what gets people’s attention.

5 Likes

Or an Australian.

Mind you, Craig always looked too much like a stereotypical KGB agent for my taste.

12 Likes

I’ve been saying for years it makes so much more sense for James Bond to just be whomever is the biggest loose cannon at MI6. M got replaced - why can’t 007? I mean he’s been replaced by how many actors at this point? This franchise lacks anything resembling continuity so arguing James Bond has to be _____ has never made any sense.

Anyway I’m really stoked and I have nothing to say about man tears because screw the trolls who probably never watched any of these movies anyway.

5 Likes

Looks like they weren’t wrong about the slippery slope. First a blond, now this. :wink:

1 Like

https://www.007james.com/articles/list_of_james_bond_girls.php

I’m not sure what they’re even crying about…

2 Likes

It’s a bit of a boring move. If they really wanted to shake things up, they could have cast a black woman as James Bond rather than just re-allocating the code name. Which is also something that would have been more in keeping with the generally unremarked-upon recasting. This move is basically just a spin-off by another name.

2 Likes

This thread was how I learned about the new 007.

My first reaction was, “Grace Jones better make a cameo!”

24 Likes