ICE and the DEA have secretly hidden cameras in some streetlights

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/09/streets-with-eyes.html

Knowing what goverment contractors like to charge, 50k gets them, what, 7 cameras between the two agencies?

While I am exaggerating, I kind of feel better knowing the relatively tiny amount of surveillance that can go on for 50k. Even if we are talking off-the-shelf netgear wifi cameras that is only ~500 which would only cover about 17% of Chicago.

11 Likes
6 Likes

Kinda my first thought too.

1 Like

Eloquent, clear and knowledgeable.

She is a pleasure to listen to.

I think if we make Machiavelli’s writings into an attractive and simple to grasp comic, the nation would be better off.

4 Likes

Came to say the same thing, except I don’t think you’re exaggerating.

2 Likes

If the “procurement data” is complete, which is unlikely. :unamused:

1 Like

Two words: spray varnish. You blur the heck out of the image the camera sees, while barely reducing the brilliance of the streetlight.

4 Likes

Some kind of spray Vaseline? Make everything look soft and nonthreatening so that the watchers will calm down.

6 Likes

Normally I’d agree, but the varnish is much harder to remove.

1 Like

5 Likes

It makes sense, whenever I nearly get busted by the cops and I throw my cocaine out into a dark field as soon as they let me go for lack of evidence I go look for it under the nearest streetlight because I can’t see anything where I threw it.

1 Like

When I read once as a kid that the entire Atlantic was basically wired for sound (for submarines, I guess) I wondered how many people lost at sea get noticed and ignored rather than helped.

1 Like

Great, I’m glad we’ve crossed lines of privacy specifically for the two most useless law enforcement agencies.

3 Likes

Also the two most racially-targeted agencies.

4 Likes

At first I assumed this was Scarfolk. Sadly, it isn’t.

2 Likes

Softcore surveillance.

3 Likes

criminals will continue to avoid well lit places

1 Like

6 Likes

Speaking of Orwell, some historical trivia:

3 Likes