ICE held US citizen for 3.5 years, then dumped him in rural Alabama with no money and no explanation

Uh, no, we know it.

8 Likes

But then they would need to take note of the fact that the reporting on this repulsive travesty was done by NPR. A U.S. taxpayer- and donor-funded organization that is able to uncover wrongdoing and miscarriages of justice… because large numbers of dull, weary, uncool U.S. persons support them. That in fact, the vast majority of people who actively fight these abrogation of rights are rarely as elegantly ‘woke’ as they are.

The unglamorous real work of advancing human rights is not done by those who spend time & effort disdaining an artfully defined Other in ‘creative’ venues like BBS.

5 Likes

Why can’t we have both?

2 Likes

This is a correct statement, it is not legally possible, appeals court is clearly smoking something.

6 Likes

U.S.A., the bastion of freedom…

In the last thirty years the Bill of Rights has been turned into a penal code.

2 Likes

In this one, Australia leads the way, regrettably:

OTOH, Rau was awarded $2.6 million in compensation. And her case sparked reforms to try and prevent it from happening again.

9 Likes

OK the thing I don’t understand is how can the statute of limitations against illegal imprisonment expire, surely that time limit starts running afresh every day he is illegally being imprisoned

4 Likes

Amendment VI

You’re citing a contract document that only applies to US citizens.

He IS a US citizen!!! Everything applies to him - all the law. ICE is not above the law. They are just hoping this goes away. It won’t…

12 Likes

I think it just did. Is the plaintiff going to appeal?

I’m definitely not siding with ICE, but circumstances are very similar to a UFO kidnapping, so…

3 Likes

This exactly. This seems to give ICE a really harmful incentive to double down on their mistakes.

4 Likes

That seems to be the right way to handle such a miscarriage of justice.

1 Like

Which, in fact, he was. ICE was operating under the opposite assumption, but facts are facts. ICE’s loophole however was described in earlier reply; this was a civil matter, not criminal.

The Sixth Amendment applies to “the accused” in “all criminal prosecutions.”

1 Like

The USSC has ruled many, many times that the protections of the US Constitution do not apply to non-citizens.

1 Like

huh? i understand that south american paramilitary death squads exist. it’s fucked. but if we are going to rank the wrongness of things in the world i’m going to curl up into a ball and never move again.

1 Like

Okay, so, it’s illegal for me, as a private citizen, to, for example, rig a shotgun loaded with rocksalt to my locked and bolted front door when I go to bed.

But ICE can trap and torture a US citizen for the better part of four years, and the citizen has no recourse?

That’s evil.

If ICE doesn’t wqnt to be accountable to the people, then it doesn’t have a place in our democracy.

7 Likes

Yes. That’s what happens. I suppose if you are of very light complexion, have a lot of money right now, and choose a very expensive lawyer, and he (because Foghorn Leghorn only respects men and is disgusted by women) chooses an appropriately racist court, then you may be able to win a lot of money.

Your criminal record, however would never be expunged. Unless you were already a politician allied with the judge.

3 Likes

Just to state the obvious: It’s still wrong if one isn’t a citizen of the USA. There is this thing called “human rights”.

3 Likes