ICE held US citizen for 3.5 years, then dumped him in rural Alabama with no money and no explanation

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/04/ice-held-us-citizen-for-3-5-ye.html

3 Likes

“We would have let you go earlier, but then you would have been able to sue us.” WTF America?

50 Likes

“regrettable failures of the government.”

Should be the name of our national anthem.

30 Likes

Declaring that the statute of limitations can expire while the crime is still ongoing is insane. Then again, the fact that people detained by ICE are not allowed to have lawyers is insane too. I feel bad for my American friends, they live in a madhouse and don’t know it.

61 Likes

I am currently assembling a startup where we crowdfund vigilante justice against abuses of power.

It’s going to be a good year

20 Likes

Some of us… quite a lot actually are acutely aware of it.

42 Likes

Only $82k for being unlawfully detained for 3 years? What kind of bullshit is this?

33 Likes

Actually it’s 0$.

12 Likes

So - how many assholes at ICE got fired?

11 Likes

Amendment VI
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

16 Likes

Fastest growing startup ever

3 Likes

What used to be called the United States of America died long ago. The shit that happened to this citizen would have been dealt with respectably by the USA. I don’t know what this place is but I don’t much like it. It’s not a safe place for place for people to live in especially for people of color or people who what to reclaim the old USA.

17 Likes

I’m aware of that bit but even if he were to get money that amount is nothing for nearly 4 years of bullshit.

9 Likes

The sheep are being taught to fear the shearer.

6 Likes

Strictly fewer than were promoted.

11 Likes

I have a feeling this isn’t quite over

6 Likes

Woo boy, this surely won’t set a precedent for any other three-letter agencies, now will it

Fesus. Jucking. Christ.

8 Likes

Although it’s a common misconception by the “illegal is illegal” crowd, it’s not actually a crime to be an illegal immigrant. Immigration matters are handled under civil law and thus not only are several constitutional protections not applied as they would be in criminal cases, but the burden of proof for being in violation of civil law is a lot lower than beyond a reasonable doubt.

18 Likes

Isn’t civil law about damages to someone? To whom are these damages occurring? I’m curious about the (dubious) theory behind this.

2 Likes

It is a misdemeanor under federal criminal law.
http://blogs.findlaw.com/blotter/2014/07/is-illegal-immigration-a-crime-improper-entry-v-unlawful-presence.html

Any protection that says “persons” or “people” is a protection against action by the U.S. government no matter who or where you are. The only ones that do not apply to everyone on the planet are the ones that specifically say “citizen”. Remember, the Bill of Rights is a list of restrictions on the power of government. They are not and have never been intended to enumerate, confer, or grant any rights to anyone. Rights are inalienable and do not come from the largess of government.

8 Likes