Idaho restricts leaving state to get abortions

This will be used as all such laws are used, not universally, but narrowly targeted in cases where someone wants to make an example or punish a specific woman while striking terror into all other women. It’s terrorism, plain and simple.

42 Likes

mood GIF

22 Likes

Exit controls, an old fascist standby (with plenty of ways to enforce it – just a matter of shifting resources currently allocated to public expenditures that actually benefit residents to more authoritarian mechanisms and to promoing an atmosphere of terror).

12 Likes

Reverse warrants to Google and Apple. Get a list of women leaving and coming back.

This is hard, but not impossible with resources. You won’t get everyone, but that’s not their goal

19 Likes

By all accounting though… some percentage of Idaho women will die this way and some, probably more, will unfairly have their lives wrecked.

28 Likes

Called it (along with everyone else who’s paying attention). Of COURSE they’re going to try this. Just never forget the legions of people who told us for YEARS that we were overreacting, and that Roe would abide.

Take a lesson from this, and realize that all of the other rights that are considered ironclad most certainly are not, given sufficiently motivated judicial and legislative branches.

31 Likes

Speak Black Woman GIF by Robert E Blackmon

24 Likes

Yeah I could see this as a justification for Chinese-style state control of data…

and the GOP projects that fear a lot so it’s probably in their mindshare.

16 Likes

Exactly. This is a little like asking “will stop-and-frisk really take every gun off the street? How will they know who to stop and frisk, they can’t frisk everyone!”

Answer: They’ll stop and frisk whoever the fuck they want as often as they want (and we know who they want to stop and frisk). This is “probable cause” for whatever the fuck they want to do to women and anyone who supports them, with potentially VERY invasive practices, if border cavity searches are any predictor.

33 Likes

Stop and frisk is a great example of just how this kind of thing works. It justifies invasive, 4th amendment violating searches and seizures of certain people. And of course, we are actively and routinely giving away our personal data that any government body can find ways to access!

:woman_shrugging:

21 Likes

Girls fleeing Idaho should now qualify for refugee status in Canada. I predict Idaho will build fortification along their portion of the border and step up patrols. Well, at least along the portions where such things are feasible, it’s mountainous up there.

27 Likes

Some small part of me wants to think “well, just wait until the horror stories start to come out about how police conduct themselves, then people will realize their mistake…” but again stop and frisk took YEARS and significant energy to repeal in fucking NYC. (i.e. the place people keep saying they are glad to be from every time these fascist laws get implemented in red states) and NYC just elected a laughably corrupt cop as mayor… and as far as I know, the state-sanctioned sexual assault of “drug suspects” in “border zones” continues apace.

22 Likes

I’ll add that I expect 100% for this to result in some rapes also. What a great way to cover for rape isn’t it if you’re a cop who also happens to enjoy raping people? You can then use the threat of pregnancy and accusations of abortion to intimidate the person you arrested and raped.

I don’t have to be that creative… this is how it is already working in Texas.

19 Likes

Somehow Republicans are geniuses at identifying unintended consequences, externalities and potential abuses in implementation when it comes to gun control, but suddenly “forget” how to understand those same questions when laws target vulnerable populations and agree with their fascist view of the world.

13 Likes

I pointed out in a prior thread about the Coeur D’Alene reservation having a route to Washington State where Idaho police may not go (only tribal police).

I’d wager that route may see an uptick in traffic.

18 Likes

Handmaids Tale Cheers GIF by HULU

9 Likes

Just awful.

I would invite every individual persecuted by this ridiculous law to come here, to the UK, where we…

wait, do you like Rwandan food?

Scrap that, we’re as fucked as you are… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Fight, fight, fight.

16 Likes

Does entering the reservation count as leaving Idaho?

11 Likes

No, you still use Idaho kroners as usual

15 Likes

I worry that the next step for trans people will be re-education camps involuntary commitment and conversion therapy to treat our “mental illness”.

16 Likes