Idaho restricts leaving state to get abortions

Originally published at: Idaho restricts leaving state to get abortions | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Angry Atp Tour GIF by Tennis TV

33 Likes

Nice. so we’ve entered the “Fugitive Woman Act” stage of our run-up to Civil War 2.0. Dominionists, psychos and accelerationists will be pleased.

40 Likes

It introduces a whole new meaning for “Idaho State Prison”.

15 Likes

What mechanisms do any of these laws have for enforcement? “I took my niece to see a play in Chicago”. How will anyone be able to know what else happened on the trip?

12 Likes

Cops can just shoot people they think are trying to flee. Not like they’ll be held accountable.

The point isn’t following the law, as the GOP is lawless at this point. The point is to give fig leaf of cover to their violent take over of the state government and their violent and brutal subjugation of women in Idaho.

41 Likes

They’ll just arrest any woman who dares to leave the state for any reason. And I wish I was just kidding…

28 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

19 Likes

Well I mean if they can seize phone records, email, investigate… etc.

27 Likes

Seems like one of those things that dictatorships typically enact, not being able to freely move either abroad or across regions.

31 Likes

You Cant Do That Season 6 GIF by The Office

21 Likes

Some family member who’s looking to settle a score could always turn them in.

State law also allows family members and the father of an aborted fetus to file civil lawsuits against doctors who perform an abortion outside of those exceptions — for $20,000 per violation.

Source

20 Likes

A nicely terrifying prediction, but logistically impossible. Even Idaho couldn’t monitor every vehicle on the roads or every airplane. These laws, and the mindset behind them, are bad enough.

8 Likes

Monstrous and dystopian. Next step is to prohibit trans people from leaving red states to use the bathroom.

24 Likes

It doesn’t need to do that. Others here have given you a list of things that they can do, and will do. No fascist regime has ever had a perfect dragnet to ensure total compliance. That doesn’t make it any less dangerous.

Stop acting like this isn’t a big deal. It very fucking much IS a big deal.

39 Likes

“Well, fuck personal freedom, then.” -GOP

19 Likes

Why do you think I’m not aware that this is a big deal? Passing unenforceable laws is bad whatever they make illegal. (One of the stale, bad arguments used against gun control laws is that they are unenforceable, so the wrong people get guns anyway). This situation is crap for everyone in Idaho. It will have nothing but bad consequences. Convincing women in Idaho that they will be killed if they want to go anywhere is just what the law wants. Agreeing with that is maybe not so helpful?

1 Like

Friends, neighbors, priests, teachers, counselors will rat them out to the authorities. Just like kid’s receiving trans health care.

They’ll be mandated reporters.

24 Likes

Your insistence that this isn’t enforceable.

Hardly the point of this. The POINT is to give cover for systemic violence against women who refuse to be treated as breeding machines.

Fascism is about using the law to justify state-based violence. THAT is what is happening here.

THAT IS WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN!!! Women are already dying because they are being forced to give birth in states with these laws. That is something that is a fact today. This gives law enforcement cover.

28 Likes

That won’t stop them from trying.

16 Likes