Father arrested while testifying against anti-trans health ban in Arkansas

Originally published at: Father arrested while testifying against anti-trans health ban in Arkansas | Boing Boing

16 Likes

this is both utterly despicable and utterly typical of today’s g.o.p.

if anyone had ever wondered what a death cult might look like in a post-industrial setting, wonder no more.

56 Likes

I am agnostic, but some days I hope that there is actually a god (or gods) who will come down and smite these ass-hats.

The GOP are often compared to the Taliban. In many ways, they are worse than the Taliban. The Taliban make no pretenses to being democratic or fair. At least they don’t try to cloak their bigotry in the language of freedom and justice, or protecting children.

43 Likes

Angry Hate GIF

28 Likes

IANAL, but I am pretty sure that you cannot just throw people in jail for no reason and then call it “disorderly conduct” after the fact, even in Arkansas.

18 Likes

Oh, you sweet summer child!

47 Likes

Mr Attig made the point (paraphrasing) businesses will leave the state, no new businesses will come to the state. i hope that is so. maybe when these “christians” are eating dirt sandwiches they will get the message. but looking at history, not nearly soon enough. people are so fucked up. and i am sorry that this poor guy, with true love in his heart, has to deal with disgusting creatures like this legislature.

24 Likes

They’re not “cancelling” them, they just want them to cancel themselves. Totally different!

6 Likes

These horrific laws are being enacted all across the country at the same time, as are laws forbidding trans youth from participating in school sports teams according to the gender they identify as. The hate of these people have no bounds.

22 Likes

Not only the GOP but the police. Beyond being removed from the room, can someone please clarify for me who would have made the decision to charge him and to hold him?

19 Likes

i don’t know for sure but from my knowledge of the texas and u.s. legislatures i would guess either the chair of the committee or the sergeant-at-arms of the chamber.

8 Likes

Unfortunately, many businesses are turning a seriously blind eye to this. Walmart’s corporate headquarters are still in Bentonville, and they have been decidedly mum during the whole affair. Man, if only they had some money to throw behind this?

Walmart’s money over the years has turned the Bentonville area into a destination for cycling, and next years cyclocross world championships are slated for Fayetteville. Despite tons of outspoken criticism after this bill was proposed and subsequently passed, and despite there being plenty of time to find a new venue, the USAC (the US governing body, who will be organizing the race in the US) has been dragging its feet pretty hard on it.

It’s always surprising how lethargic and complacent people with power can be.

25 Likes

Let’s be real, it’s not hard to find a police officer willing to arrest somebody for talking about something they didn’t like.

25 Likes

As the proud parent of a trans kid, this makes me enraged.

36 Likes

I think they did. Hey he went over time by 30 seconds!

3 Likes

And yet that’s what happened. The modern GOP’s role model for governance is Vladimir Putin, after all. This is right out of his playbook in form and substance.

36 Likes

There now exists a whole swath of US states that we will not visit, and grows.

30 Likes

I’m hoping that a judge will say, “You shouldn’t have done that” and award damages, but I won’t be holding my breath.

14 Likes

What a good dad.

18 Likes

Wait, what?!? World Cyclocross championships will be in the US again? Hopefully this time it won’t be right next to a river that decides to flood the weekend of the races.

4 Likes