Idiocracy is coming back to theaters in time for election

Also Extract is the better movie. Yes, it’s better than Office Space too.

I cannot even remotely begin to imagine accepting an invitation to be interviewed by Alex Jones. My respect for Judge just took a major hit.

5 Likes

I’m still trying to parse a sentence that combines the terms “great interview” and “Alex Jones Show” that way. I thought “Oh, is there another show host with that name? How unfortunate for him.”

6 Likes

Being interviewed by someone you don’t respect is the best kind of interview.

It’s not nice to troll people you respect, after all.

3 Likes

I’m objecting to talking publicly with a demagogue rather than simply someone I don’t agree with. Trolling isn’t a good way to argue with someone like Jones and it has a tendency to backfire because you can’t embarrass someone who’s proudly unembarrassable or reason with someone who’s proudly unconcerned with facts (as our current election year has proven).

1 Like

Vile calumny. President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho appointed Cpl. Not Sure, the smartest man in the world, as Secretary of the Interior to solve the drought crisis. When Not Sure’s solution eventually bears fruit Camacho admits he was wrong to lose faith in him and appoints him Vice President.

Can you imagine Trump 1) making astute appointments, 2) delegating to those appointees instead of propping up his ego by insisting on his own half-baked schemes, and 3) admitting he was wrong about anything?

You owe President Camacho an apology.

11 Likes

Idiocracy never made sense to me. The world was filled with dumbed down tech for dumb people. So who the hell was making all the tech!?!

2 Likes

Yeah, yeah. Also there’s no sound in space, and there wouldn’t be a breathable atmosphere on an all-desert planet, and you can’t travel faster than light.

5 Likes

Unlike sound in space, this was central to the plot, that there are no smart people anymore to help.

Point is it’s a cartoon. Mike Judge is a cartoonist. You might as well criticize the South Park movie for lack of realism. The Devil doesn’t exist, and if he does he’s (probably) not in a domestic gay relationship with Saddam Hussein’s soul!

3 Likes

Good points. I was strictly considering it for the lulz rather than trying to “win” any arguments or promote my own agenda.

If I was interviewed by someone I thought was a dangerous loon, I would try to see how blatantly I could mock him and his views without actually bursting into laughter or having him figure it out.

You know, like a Stephen Colbert sort of schtick (not that I could ever match the master).

No, it was live action. :wink:

And I think that even satire can try to avoid massive plot holes that contradict the entire premise of the film.

That’s not a plot hole.

Plot: There are no more smart people to fix things.

Hole: There are smart people making all the dumbed down tech everyone is using in the movie.

1 Like

My presumption was always that the competent people of the past had constructed mostly self-sustaining systems that the later folks maintained by following rote maintenance procedures that were passed down to them. These later people follow the procedures enough to keep things generally churning along, but sometimes mess up and try to fix things by taking ad campaigns as advice on how to fix things, etc. I mean, I’m not sure my presumption holds up enough for a believable backstory, but it was all I needed.

8 Likes

I don’t know, if you get past partisan stuff you don’t like, he’s got an interesting point of view.

Fair enough, and I could have bought that if everything in their society was breaking down. But it wasn’t. The only problem they were having was what to irrigate their crops with. All the tech worked perfectly. Even the massive farming infrastructure and irrigation systems all worked, too.

Which supports @benjaminterry’s theory. The irrigation systems worked, but the people were putting Brawndo into them instead of water. The ancestors who built the tech couldn’t predict every single dumb thing their descendents would do, or they’d have put sensors in preventing non-water from being used.

2 Likes

A plot hole requires the movie to be internally inconsistent. The entire purpose is show the extreme idiocy in a post-scarcity world now knowing so little that they created scarcity again. How the technology works in unimportant; technology as magic is not a plot hole, it’s a story device in soft science fiction.

2 Likes