Idiocraski: the apocalyptic situation in Poland after a year of trumpism

Jan, 2018:
“It’s been a year since the Republican Party won the US election, on familiar-sounding promises to drain the swamp and restore the US of A to its former greatness: now school textbooks are being redesigned to downplay evolution and climate change and to recount a fanciful version of Amerika’s history; the government is mooting giving hoteliers the right to turn away customers based on sexual orientation or skin-color; a minister rejected an international accord against wife-beating because it subverted traditional gender roles; Congress is about to get the right to choose which journalists may report from its debates; the guy in charge of national sex-ed curriculum believes that condoms give women cancer; a proposed law will virtually end opposition protests; and disloyal journalists at the “independent” state broadcaster have been purged.”

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what it sounded like to me, too. But even if it was universal basic income, that’s not a good trade-off.

1 Like

“You can only trust a Pole — even then, only some.”

The ten-foot variety?

1 Like

What is this fixation on coal? Most of us read The Hunger Games as a dystopia, but apparently, for a lot of people, it is a utopia. Go District 12.

Coal has certain mythic virtues. Miners are not stooped, dirty, sickly men with bad coughs who die young and are in a fading industry, they’re muscular and glamorously sooty, with overalls but no shirt. Like Tom of Finland characters, but fiercely het. And when they die of black lung, it’s dramatic and wonderful, because it represents their Sacrifice for their Families.

6 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think anyone is laughing at this. It sucks and it’s the new normal, I think.

7 Likes

Make Poland great again. The Polish golden age was 500 years ago. They appear to be making much progress in rolling the country back to 1516.

Lucky for you, the Trump’s version of the American golden age was only 50 years ago. Well, maybe not so great if you’re not white. Or a man. Or cis hetero. Or conservative…

7 Likes

Don’t worry, it seems the US has been intent on emulating Poland since 2012 or so…

1 Like

Basically, it’s the same social tactics as Hitler’s:
define a social group as premium citizen and give them benefits for their family development. Legalize violence against dissidents and unwanted citizen, cut off their ressources. Shift the social balance to favour your allies and annihilate your opposition.

5 Likes

It saddens me that instead of Godwin-ing the topic, you seem to just have legitimately contributed to it.

5 Likes

Godwin’s law was a lot more entertaining before the rise of fascists within and without.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.