World Politics

I thought I’d start a thread for political news from around the world that is not either the US or the UK…

The new Peruvian president has appointed a Marxist as the PM, which has some people worried about their money and the “markets”… :roll_eyes: But he’s defended Shining Path and made some homophobic and misogynistic remarks in the past… :thinking:

20 Likes

[Great idea!]

She’s an Olympic weightlifter from New Zealand.

13 Likes
11 Likes

Update: Despite getting the majority of votes, it failed to reach 2/3 and it was not approved.

Some background:

1. The voting system reform is a stupid idea from bolsonaro to make the electronic voting machines also print a paper slip with the vote data which can be checked by the voter and then would be deposited in a ballot.
    If i’m not mistaken, he proposed it for the first time around 10 years ago.

2. As the article mentions, his popularity has dropped due his (mis)handling of the pandemic and a congress investigation of it, which already raised suspicions about bribes/corruption when acquiring vaccines.

3. One of his sons, who is a senator, is also being investigated over some corruption charges, he allegedly demand share of his assistant’s salaries and also bought a mansion for R$ 6 M, which is said to be above his expected income as a politician.
    This is a sign that the bolsonaro clan doesn’t have as much power as when they were elected in 2018, since they cannot stop the investigations, and some commenters say that the president might be the next one targeted.

13 Likes

This is completely unsurprising to anyone with a working brain, actually, CNN:

I don’t think ANYONE thought that this would not mean a quick takeover of Afghanistan by the Taliban. The government would be advised to reach a settlement with the Taliban, but a) they had their heads in the sand and really believed they could hold them off and b) I doubt the Taliban would settle since they seem to be winning. But yeah, anyone really paying attention these past 20 years certainly understood that this was going to happen if the US left with the government unprepared and the Taliban still active.

15 Likes
12 Likes
10 Likes

It wasn’t such a good week for him.

9 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes

Here we go . . . Let the misogyny begin restart.

9 Likes

:1st_place_medal:

10 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Hey, they learned from the best. Seeing what we were doing, most were horrified. Some in the CCP said, “hey, that’s a great idea!”
I hate this timeline. I feel like I’ve said this before…

11 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

He’s not dead yet?

13 Likes

Worse: people ask him for his opinions almost as if he wasn’t a sociopathic war criminal whose actions destroyed the labour movement in Britain.

15 Likes