Ukraine slides into full-blown dictatorship with brutal new law

[Permalink]

Didn’t we have a Cold War to put an end to this type of thing? Whatever happened with that?

And why doesn’t this get one-tenth the amount of coverage that “Bridgegate” does? A traffic jam from four months ago is more important than a veto coup in a major Eastern European state?

5 Likes

Vice is growing on me. The online magazine, Vice. Good article up there today about Cuba.

Hopefully the EU will take steps before Ukraine, and the -stans, get their own version of the Arab Spring.

1 Like

For review: “Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.”

2 Likes

Poor Ukraine. It is amazing how quickly shit like this can be rolled out by the ruling psychopaths.

5 Likes

This is terrifying and should be covered. But you needn’t not cover local government corruption at the same time. Why should it be an either/or proposition?

1 Like

The problem is that each side is pretty clearly aligned with an outside power and the EU is reluctant to engage in a proxy civil war with Russia.

1 Like

Especially as the EU gets a lot of its natural gas by pipeline from Russia and it’s winter …

2 Likes

Maybe we need to wait for European Spring.

3 Likes

True, although Russia is aware that that cuts both ways. Even the Soviet Union didn’t go there.

1 Like

Here’s some live footage:

American ex-pat living in Krakow (8 years) here: I honestly believe that the Russians were simply more able to hand out cash and power than the EU were. Yanukovych is Soviet old-school and a politician; I doubt he did more than determine who was willing to offer more (carrot) and/or put the hurt on (stick) and then made his decision. Besides, he knows that closer integration with the EU - gods forbid actual membership - means that he wields less arbitrary power because they require governments with a bit more accountability and consequence.

1 Like

heres some more: http://euro-online.kiev.ua/ that German users may be able to check without the U Tube GEMA censorship bit activated.

1 Like

it’s almost as bad as the “free speech zones” that are setup for people to practice their “free speech” in US

2 Likes

For those interested, here’s a petition calling on the Norwegian government to impose personal sanctions on, the President, the Minister of Interior, the 235 Members of the Ukrainian Parliament who voted for the anti-constitutional laws, as well as other people involved in the current violence against Ukrainian citizens.

1 Like

Um, not exactly an “apples and oranges” comparison there eh?

While I agree that the concept of a “free speech zone” is absolutely ludicrous, comparing it to these legal changes in the Ukraine is like comparing a splinter to a 2x4 through the head. (since hyperbole seems to be the reigning motif here)

2 Likes

Who said anything about not covering both? I just think the proportions are way out of whack.

The proportions are always out of whack as far as international news, so point taken. But as a potential presidential candidate, the bridge story does have merit, in spite of the obvious jokes.

1 Like

Wow… i know people who were banged up in HMP Durham (thats in the UK for foreign readers……… and a prison) under the criminal justice act for holding raves in woods/warehouses…… It seems to me that the Ukraine has just copied the UK Gov hand book on dictatorship! Where has our freedom gone?

First the Ukraine and then …http://thinkingaboot.blogspot.ca/2014/01/utopians-are-heavily-read.html