Idiots scratched their names into prehistoric stone artwork at Big Bend National Park

Originally published at: Idiots scratched their names into prehistoric stone artwork at Big Bend National Park | Boing Boing

5 Likes

people are idiots.

also? modern graffiti covers ancient graffiti.

Ancient graffiti more interesting and creative

9 Likes

this sounds like a job for amateur internet detectives. i hope they manage to doxx these idiots.

18 Likes

Christ, what assholes.

8 Likes

You say this happened in Texass?

11 Likes

Sounds like they need to be fined…back to the Stone Age.

3 Likes

It’s sad to think that Norma, Adrian, Isaac, and Ariel may very well be some of the most long-remembered human beings of our time. In 6,000 years, someone may write their doctoral thesis on their theory of who these people were and what great things they did to deserve their names being immortalized in stone.

Now that the stone is already defaced, I’d fully support defacing it further (maybe on the back) with a disclaimer that ensures future generations will remember Norma, Adrian, Isaac, and Ariel for the complete idiots they were.

3 Likes
10 Likes

Well the original I think might be more in the category of art, vs graffiti. (Not that graffiti can’t be art.)

I do find it interesting that graffiti can become historically significant if you give it several hundred years.

But yeah, don’t be an asshole and scratch up a rock with art on it already. Jesus Christ the area is littered with rocks and you got to pick that one to be an asshole on?

10 Likes

i give it at least a 50/50 chance it was a parent writing their kid’s names. :frowning:

4 Likes

There are cameras at the gates of the park you also need to go through an imagination checkpoint after visiting Big Bend. I’m sure it wouldn’t be to difficult for the feds to track down the culprit. However, I doubt that will happen.

2 Likes

An imagination checkpoint? Man, maybe the Feds really ARE going too far with the surveillance state.

But seriously, the knowledge that the perpetrators were among the thousands of visitors who passed by security cameras on their way out of the park is really only helpful if they were all wearing big, clearly readable name tags.

3 Likes

Doh! ya got me

I’m just going to leave that for the luls.

I was thinking license plat cross reference with any of the names. As I type this I’m realizing how legally flimsy that idea is. Also not what I want the federal government doing.
Ok, I’ll just go put this dunce cap on and sit in the corner now.

6 Likes

100% “dont be an asshole”

always good advice… although I slip up sometimes. rarely when defacing vintage art

4 Likes

I feel, instinctively, that such dumassery is a modern development, though I know, intellectually, we’ve been dumasses all the way down. It just feels bad it happened on our watch, so to speak. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/stonehenge-souvenirs

2 Likes

Here’s what it looked like before

3 Likes

Nah, much more likely to be understood in the same vein as the Norse runes carved into the Hagia Sophia: “Halfdan was here

3 Likes

As just one example Napoleon was said (perhaps apocryphally) to have carved his name in the Great Pyramid of Giza and his revolutionaries defaced Leonardo’s The Last Supper for fun. And Napoleon was supposed to be more thoughtful than the average dumbass.

3 Likes

The difference being that Napoleonic graffiti at least had a bit of an aesthetic appeal.

(This is a piece of graffiti by Napoleonic soldiers at Freiburg cathedral. The letters even have serifs)

2 Likes

I’d long heard the old husband’s tale that Old Boney’s men shot the schnozz off the Sphinx with cannon target practice, but it was disproved. The damage had happened long before Boney showed up.

I sure hope these assholes get caught.

2 Likes