Two teens carve into 5,000-year-old rock carving, just trying to help

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/03/two-teens-carve-into-5000-yea.html

Well, at least they boys forward. That’s the important part.

EDIT: Now that the copy is fixed, my comment makes me look like a dick, but in retrospect, my comment WAS kind of dickish, so it all worked out.

Dear amateur art restorers:

STAHP!!!

Wonder if they’d consider re-carving it a few inches to the left. I imagine the right guy or gal could do it indistinguishably from the original.

Do they not post signs around these landmarks? Something along the lines of “Don’t mess up the 5,000 artifacts, Jackass!”

They boys accidentally the whole forward.

Carving ski graffiti? Way to be a cliché, Norway!

Well, at least 5,000 years from now (hypothetically), people will be able to see the carvings of these boys.

Just punishment: make the boys ski it off.

It’s the Norwegian way.

Design students, the teens were quoted as saying, “It really needed to pop for the viewer”

My first thought exactly. Maybe we could build a museum of improved arts?

Here, lemme copy’n’paste and heavily edit the text - with apologies to LurkingGrue:

thaumatechnicia: There might have been twenty times that week that young people out having fun or getting some exercise by walking around failed in their corporate-shaped-duty as mindless automatons.

Oh, but the twenty-first time, some young people were able to achieve self-actualization by thinking that they were able to make things better despite knowing nothing about archeology, and especially by not respecting frickin’ obvious boundaries. Too bad there wasn’t a wall somewhere owned by someone else that they could tag, or some rock formations they could topple.

Again, my apologies, LurkingGrue.

That is one seriously old archaeologist.

Where would Jesus ski?

The Sea of Galilee?

And how do we know it wasn’t due for its 1000 year touch up?

So are you uh…approving or disapproving? I really can’t tell from your comment…

I’m reminded of the relatively loud admonition to be silent in the Montserrat Abbey Basilica. Two signs marked “SILENCI” (or “SILENCIO?”) would alternately click on-and-off, quite audibly.

The first one coulda been some dopey kid with terrible drawing skills ruining the village’s favorite rock.