Two teens carve into 5,000-year-old rock carving, just trying to help

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/03/two-teens-carve-into-5000-yea.html

Well, at least they boys forward. That’s the important part.

EDIT: Now that the copy is fixed, my comment makes me look like a dick, but in retrospect, my comment WAS kind of dickish, so it all worked out.

2 Likes

14 Likes

Dear amateur art restorers:

STAHP!!!

15 Likes

Wonder if they’d consider re-carving it a few inches to the left. I imagine the right guy or gal could do it indistinguishably from the original.

Do they not post signs around these landmarks? Something along the lines of “Don’t mess up the 5,000 artifacts, Jackass!”

3 Likes

They boys accidentally the whole forward.

5 Likes

Carving ski graffiti? Way to be a cliché, Norway!

11 Likes

Well, at least 5,000 years from now (hypothetically), people will be able to see the carvings of these boys.

13 Likes

Just punishment: make the boys ski it off.

It’s the Norwegian way.

4 Likes

Design students, the teens were quoted as saying, “It really needed to pop for the viewer”

8 Likes

My first thought exactly. Maybe we could build a museum of improved arts?

4 Likes

Here, lemme copy’n’paste and heavily edit the text - with apologies to LurkingGrue:

thaumatechnicia: There might have been twenty times that week that young people out having fun or getting some exercise by walking around failed in their corporate-shaped-duty as mindless automatons.

Oh, but the twenty-first time, some young people were able to achieve self-actualization by thinking that they were able to make things better despite knowing nothing about archeology, and especially by not respecting frickin’ obvious boundaries. Too bad there wasn’t a wall somewhere owned by someone else that they could tag, or some rock formations they could topple.

Again, my apologies, LurkingGrue.

1 Like

That is one seriously old archaeologist.

10 Likes

Where would Jesus ski?

3 Likes

The Sea of Galilee?

13 Likes

And how do we know it wasn’t due for its 1000 year touch up?

4 Likes

So are you uh…approving or disapproving? I really can’t tell from your comment…

I’m reminded of the relatively loud admonition to be silent in the Montserrat Abbey Basilica. Two signs marked “SILENCI” (or “SILENCIO?”) would alternately click on-and-off, quite audibly.

3 Likes

The first one coulda been some dopey kid with terrible drawing skills ruining the village’s favorite rock.

7 Likes