Canadian teenager carves name into Japanese treasure: faces severe penalties

Originally published at: Canadian teenager carves name into Japanese treasure: faces severe penalties | Boing Boing

5 Likes

well, so much for this american using the “i’m canadian” when traveling… humans suck.

(also, i would not call the penalty ‘severe’ at just over $2k. defacing something priceless should cost you more IMHO)

19 Likes

samurai-harakiri

4 Likes

Sadly, I expect these defacings to become draws in themselves.

1 Like

I’ve visited a pretty decent amount of famous landmarks around the world and never felt the need to engrave my name in one. I’ve never even taken a selfie with them, mainly because I don’t take selfies, but I’ve found a lovely picture to remember the visit is adequate.

I cannot understand the swathes of mostly younger people who feel the need to tag everything. I mean, my generation certainly carved into school desks and trees (see: Charlie Brown/Peanuts) but in general we weren’t looking to etch “Billy was here” into the frame of the Mona Lisa.

I visited Pearl Harbor a few weeks ago and saw one of the planes in the museum had, among other things “yeezy” written on it. Why? Just why??

18 Likes

On the bright side, if it was done with his fingernail, then it’s not carved into the surface and it’ll be pretty easy to repair/obscure. (I’m rather surprised that it’s so visible, really…)

3 Likes

Discourse won’t let me post any of the runic graffiti from the Hagia Sophia. It says “HALFDAN WAS HERE” is not a complete sentence.

10 Likes

7e332c4c-50b9-449b-834b-896fc05fb8be_text

4 Likes

i suppose there’s some consolation that he wasn’t doing it “for the lulz” or for traffic on his Instagram or TikTok channel, but seriously, wtf is with people!?

3 Likes

hmmm.

I bet if you’d gone with “WHOLEDAN WAS HERE” it would’ve been complete.

10 Likes

Don’t forget the “up to 5 years in prison”

6 Likes

I was wondering if this was a TikTok challenge among the yoots.

Quick!
Use the “I didn’t know it was that old” defence and have your attorney issue a carefully worded nonpology!

7 Likes

ah, skipped that part… but, would it be for the kid??

Christ, more people need to keep their hands in their pockets.

In Japan, crimes by minors are tried in family court, and the maximum penalty is juvie. The family court judge can decide to refer the case for prosecution in a criminal court, but this is normally only done for serious, violent crimes.

It is pretty rare for minors to be charged as adults here, and it has to go through family court first in any case.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.