Tourist who carved initials into the Roman Colosseum says he didn't know it was old

Originally published at: Tourist who carved initials into the Roman Colosseum says he didn't know it was old | Boing Boing

1 Like

TIL: if it’s a relatively new structure, it’s ok to deface it

(fun to muse upon the graffiti on the then brand new great pyramid from two competing labor gangs:
“Drunks of Menkaure” and “Friends of Khufu Gang”)

10 Likes

AKA the “George Costanza defense”

7 Likes

If you believe the same person who didn’t know the Colosseum was old wrote: ‘heartfelt and sincere apologies to Italians and the entire world for the damage done to a monument, which is, in fact, heritage of all humanity’ then I have a Roman amphitheatre to sell you.

11 Likes

joaquin-phoenix-commodus

10 Likes

If somebody defaces a 150 year old structure anywhere else, it certainly doesn’t make international news.

His best argument is that if they are saying he defaced a 2000 year old structure, they have passed the statute of limitations because his graffiti is also 2000 years old.

1 Like

The fact he scribed into something that wasn’t his is enough to tell me all about his character.

7 Likes

I wonder how often he carves his name into new buildings…

5 Likes

Romani ite domum

8 Likes

“How can the movie set possibly be that old when Gladiator only came out in the year 2000?”

6 Likes

There are probably lots of structures in Rome that have graffiti which could be cleaned off.

How does someone become an adult human and still think that claim could possibly be an excuse, even in true?

2 Likes

I fear the growth of a global ‘underground’ movement to deface ancient monuments everywhere. Solution: hire more guards, thus also addressing unemployment crises. Mexico stations armed guards at even minor pyramids, or so we saw. Whew.

If you love her, don’t use a ‘+’ symbol, use a heart. This isn’t a math equation.

1 Like

As an American, I cannot express how glad I was when I found out he wasn’t American. We have too many idiots as it is!

10 Likes

983841_81_93286_HRAYJEPPj

This gentleman made me think back to when the wife and I saw the Colosseum in 2007. Some dumbass scratched the Texas A&M logo into a wall.

This dbag says he did it:
Wish he could get prosecuted

This moron thinks it’s something to be proud of.
TAMU Business School Proudly Stupid Idiot

2 Likes

No. This is an insultingly obvious lie. There needs to an immediate, severe increase in penalties for a crime when the perpetrator responds with the verbal equivalent of pissing on the victim’s leg and laughing in their face.

4 Likes

or from florida! double whew!

3 Likes

what’s the bet that the graffiti will last longer than the relationship it commemorates?

3 Likes