Idris Elba will be voicing Knuckles the Echidna in the new Sonic movie, and people are getting hot and bothered

Originally published at: Idris Elba will be voicing Knuckles the Echidna in the new Sonic movie, and people are getting hot and bothered | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Sonic the Hedgehog has always been an intense locus of online sexual interest (for reasons that elude me). There’s no way the producers weren’t aware of that.

2 Likes

12 Likes

Well, my first thought on reading the headline was that people would be complaining about a black man voicing their beloved video game character. So count me as pleasantly surprised.

16 Likes

Oh my god, this tweet killed me.

5 Likes

I’m a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog video games, as I prefer casual gaming and it’s one of the few nostalgia hits I allow myself. The first movie was solid family fare and I really enjoyed watching it with my kids. Sonic 2 (the game) has a special place in my heart, and I like Elba as an actor, so his casting news was great to me.

Now, all this being said, wow is Sonic fandom strange. Like, how did it come to this?

2 Likes

valentine GIF

Idris Elba Flirting GIF

5 Likes

Any guesses on what accent Mr. Elba will give ol’ Knuckles? Fingers crossed for maximum cockney!

1 Like

I was on Twitter the other day, utterly baffled as to why a bunch of people suddenly felt it necessarily to admit their sexual attraction to a cartoon video game character. Especially since these were the sorts of people who had no interest in such things generally; that they even were aware of an obscure video game character surprised me. It was so random, nonsensical and unexpected that I was actually unsettled. The casting news was a real lightbulb moment of illumination - and relief.

2 Likes

It’s a mystery to us all. Somehow Sega hit the jackpot on creating a mascot with staying power. He really ought to be as irrelevant as Bubsy at this point, especially given how much people haven’t enjoyed the gameplay of the last 2 decades’ worth of games. But here we are. I also enjoyed watching them movie (multiple times) with my kids. It was literally the last movie I saw in the theater. And I’m actually looking forward to the sequel.

1 Like

Since we’re anthropomorphizing echidnas (sorry):

It is the way.

When an echidna gets aroused it’s like a tiny pink Max Rebo reaching out of a cloaca to say hello.

3 Likes

My favourite reaction:

“After playing Mandela, it’s very hard to read a script that doesn’t have any of the qualities that man has,” said Idris Elba to the BBC in 2013. “It’s quite interesting what it’s doing to my taste in characters.”

Today, Idris Elba announced in a tweet that he would play Knuckles the Echidna in the Sonic movie sequel.

Savage
(from Idris Elba is voicing Knuckles in the Sonic movie sequel | Rock Paper Shotgun)

1 Like

My first thought too, woke PC casting of non-white voice talent in their favourite Japanese-origin franchise.

Aaaaand, that’s enough internetting for today…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.