"If anything happens, it's not suicide," said Boeing whistleblower before he was found dead in truck

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/15/if-anything-happens-its-not-suicide-said-boeing-whistleblower-before-he-was-found-dead-in-truck.html

12 Likes

I think that Boeing is going to make Philip Morris look like vacationing nuns on a parade with easter rabbits and butterflies…

13 Likes

Yesterday’s funny-not-funny Onion story on Boeing seems even less like satire now:

10 Likes

Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun should go to jail along with the rest of their C-levels. This is inexcusable.

5 Likes

Life imitating art?

1 Like

Given that the cops rushed to declare it a suicide (but then quietly stopped claiming that after a while), I have to wonder how much evidence was ignored or destroyed in the initial investigation, making successful prosecution difficult or unlikely. (And how much of that ignoring of evidence was deliberate due to a lack of sympathy for a whistleblower. Cops, like most organized crime, don’t like “rats,” after all.)

I don’t imagine anyone particularly high up at Boeing did this (or ordered it), however. Seems most likely it was some fairly low-level Boeing worker, afraid that revelations would make them criminally liable and a convenient scapegoat for Boeing’s issues. It may have been company policy to engage in bad practices, but some managers down at the bottom get to enforce those policies, instruct workers to use defective parts, skip the safety checks (that they didn’t have the budget for), etc.

5 Likes

The culture and precedent of the footsoldiers solely getting into legal trouble needs to end. They were empowered and incentivized by their superiors, and this will keep happening if full accountability measures are not taken.

7 Likes

It’s especially aggravating when it’s some leader whose defense amounts to, “Hey, I just enacted the conditions that made [the crimes] compulsory by my underlings, I didn’t actually tell anyone to do it…”

4 Likes

Man, I really really want this to get solved.

1 Like

"Will no one rid me of the troublesome whistle blower? " Or some such, anyway.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.