Boeing CEO admits company retaliates against whistleblowers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/19/boeing-ceo-admits-company-retaliates-against-whistleblowers.html

13 Likes

George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

14 Likes

Whistleblower Information for Employees of Federal Contractors and Grantees

https://www.oversight.gov/content/whistleblower-information-employees-federal-contractors-and-grantees

15 Likes

I know it happens

Nice use of passive voice there, pal. You are the person directly responsible for retaliation against Boeing whistleblowers.

14 Likes

Of course. That’s what happens when you cross a psychopath.

5 Likes

I’m not saying that it will happen; but that blithe explanation seems a little odd because (at least in org chart terms) Boeing operates three business units: “Commercial Airplanes”, “Defense, Space & Security”; and “Boeing Global Services”.

I’d assume that team DoD would bristle greatly at anything they suspect would be deleterious to BDS; and the US government generally presumably sees Boeing as the home team vs. Airbus; but I’m not clear on why the DoD would be against someone from the civil aviation side getting the book thrown at him to make it look like their contracts pal has turned over a new leaf; or why any of the divisions would necessary be against someone unlikeable at HQ getting tossed into the grinder(with both dead-eyed bean counters aspiring to fill the vacancy and whatever remnants of engineering culture exist chafing at the interference having their own reasons to approve).

If it looks like the Justice Department has a specific suit in mind and there’s a reason why that one is considered indispensable by BDS, then sure, not going to help that Boeing is a defense contractor; but just stating in general terms that Boeing executives or Boeing corporate are probably off the table because Boeing is a defense contractor seems to ignore salient internal structure.

4 Likes

So, from the Jamal Khashoggi school of HR…?

Saturday Night Live Nbc GIF

6 Likes

“considering” wtf? people are being murdered. People are dying from defective aircraft. WTF is there to ‘consider’?

10 Likes

I thought it remarkable when the reporter plainly suggested that it won’t happen because Boeing is a key defense contractor, that being self-explanatory.

News flash for the DoD:
If Boeing puts profits ahead of passenger safety, they’re going to put profits ahead of pilot safety and the ability of aircraft to complete their missions.

9 Likes

:thinking:

The ‘Iron Triangle’ alliance of defense contractors, Congress and the Pentagon

7 Likes

I wonder how the astronauts that are scheduled to hitch a ride back down from the ISS on the janky Boeing Starliner feel now. I’d be demanding a trip back to Earth on the Dragon.

4 Likes

…he said, surrounded by the corpses of whistleblowers.

6 Likes

Yeah…

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

5 Likes

Oh dear…

The extra time will allow Boeing and NASA more time to assess several issues that have arisen with the vehicle.

“We are letting the data drive our decision making relative to managing the small helium system leaks and thruster performance we observed during rendezvous and docking,” he added.

In addition, CFT team members have noticed five small helium leaks in Starliner’s propulsion system. One was spotted before launch but not deemed a serious issue; four cropped up after the capsule deployed from its rocket, a United Launch Alliance Atlas V.

(emphasis mine). All the while the helium keeps leaking.

Hopefully the front doesn’t fall off…

6 Likes
6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.