If Asian people acted like white people in restaurants

We’re in danger of experiencing the same thing in NJ and PA. :cry: Some were hanging on despite economic problems, but went under because of the pandemic. Places that were already set up for delivery have a big advantage in that industry.

4 Likes

It’s a little north (ok, a lotta north), but the Agawam Diner in Rowley MA is pretty great for those times when you just HAVE to have a griddled muffin.

3 Likes

Here’s the other thing: when you do it, you’re going to be an obvious cultural insider, so you’re just being an asshole. (No judgement, you do you :smiley:

When I do it, I’m being insulting as an outsider from an out group with a really problematic (understating this a bit) relationship with, well, whatever ethnicity you care to call out. So it carries at least a whiff of xenophobia, as the waitstaff won’t know how much the insult is financial versus racist, and so they don’t know what to brace themselves for.

4 Likes

None taken.
You’re right about the outsider/insider bit. I still stand by what I said that if you give shitty chopsticks and are offended when people think they are shitty, then you as a restaurant owner are a cheap asshole.
This is for dine in, because you aren’t going to give out the good stuff for takeout.

10 Likes

If Rick Deckard does it, it’s good enough for me.

3 Likes

Boulevard Diner in Worcester, depending on how wide your definition of “greater Boston” is.

2 Likes

Now THAT’s the kind of place I’m talking about!

1 Like

I definitely don’t want to be accused of cultural appropriation. Whenever I visit Japan I only eat pizza and pasta.

4 Likes

Asia is many cultures as are the English speaking cultures and I would think to define respect to others in terms of chopsticks and cutlery etiquette is probably the least helpfull

2 Likes

That’s the key. Do these things knowingly to communicate the thing you want to communicate.

The advice that you should never rub your chop stickers together is more for tourists so they don’t accidentally offend a proprietor. Some people want to intentionally do this and are willing to get into an argument over it.

(I’m just a white guy who has used chopsticks regularly since I was a little kid. :laughing: )

1 Like

I didn’t get this. I don’t know why I read through the comments. I don’t know why I’m leaving a comment. On to the next post.

1 Like

Funny/not funny how the comment thread for a post about a video by a person who seeks to address clueless racist attitudes toward people of Asian descent ends up being almost entirely about other topics.

7 Likes

She has a lot more Tik Tok videos. And they’re all good.

I mean, this is the bbs. This place does that on every single topic. I’m surprised we’re not three derails deep and talking about railway history yet.

7 Likes

Pro-tip: If worried about this, don’t rub the splinter sticks together until after you get your food to avoid any unwanted, wet additions to your meal.

1 Like

@frauenfelder I’m pretty sure her name is probably Youngmi Mayer (Married to Meyer maybe? or Adoptee?), not Young Mimayer. Youngmi is a common Korean name.

This is so much me at a restaurant that it hurts a little.

4 Likes

Traditionally diners were for working class people who needed lunch and maybe breakfast. Despite the name, working class people went home for actual dinner.

Came here to mention this. Thank you.

I’m sorry! I do this all the time, latching on to one tiny detail of a post calling for, at least, a very tonally different discussion.

1 Like