If contemporary singers were around in the 80s

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/01/the-2080s-past-is-the-future.html

1 Like

This sub-genre is a wonderful thing.

2 Likes

I think Justin Beiber would have more of a haircut like this:

6 Likes

Heavy on the scratch filter. What monster would let those masterpieces get into such bad shape?

5 Likes

Right? Any serious record collector would have put those things in plastic protector sleeves.

3 Likes

I ordered a mint, sealed, never opened Shadow record from ebay. It was just sent in a bubble mailer and of course broke in 4 places.

I was like WHY? It sat for decades to be appreciated… now it’s ruined.

Fortunately the guy had a stack of them and sent it again - this time in cardboard. Thew in a Lone Ranger, too.

7 Likes

Gotye had that one hit; now he’s just somebody that we used to know.

That Taylor Swift cover is great, but the Drake one is just spot on.

7 Likes

Didja hear about the guy who totaled his car in an accident?

Now it’s just some Audi that he used to know.

8 Likes

And then Walk Off the Earth went and improved it, rendering his original version pretty much inert.

5 Likes

I liked the Childish Gambino.

I kinda liked this guys style, but he should have mixed it up a bit more.

4 Likes

I have never seen that; very cool, and less like a Sting cover now.

1 Like

Agreed. Definitely more effeminate.

Disclaimer, definitely not a current (nor past) favourite SodaPop merchandised product.

Long Live my Mustache!

this guy is clearly very young, thinks the 80s were a hundred years ago, and has only seen one record cover from the 80s.

5 Likes

An interesting concept, but 80s singers would not have sported much – if any! – body ink.

2 Likes

Seems like a talented artist, but I think what he set out to do is paint the same style cover and see how each artist looks like in the same general cover idea.
The 80s had people like Peter Saville and 23 Envelope (4AD) doing awesome stuff.

This more like" what would your favorite artist look like on the cover of Teen Beat"

2 Likes

I was watching this just yesterday:

Peak ‘80’s aesthetic.

AFAIK all of those and much more are available on archive.org, unless it’s the vinyl you really crave.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.