If forced to play Monopoly, use this gameplan

Only professional Monopoly players play by the actual rules in the box. My strategy is to build multiple hotels on properties. Is that a bad thing?

Are you naming them after yourself?

6 Likes

Surely Losing first, must be quicker than winning… (Because you have to be the last person playing to win)

Does anyone have a guide on how to lose quickly?.. so i can go an get a drink, read a book, plan an elaborate revenge plot on the person who forced me to play the game in the first place… all of which i can happily do whilst the idiots are still playing

2 Likes

Refuse to buy any properties, and pay the fine to get out of jail (rules permitting). You’ll lose soon enough, unless everyone else does the same.

1 Like

It’d be totally obvious, but buy something, mortgage it and pay it off immediately, repeat.

Less obvious; dramatically overbid for something.

Offer a trade where you are offering all your money and property, and are asking for nothing in return. One person will say it’s not allowed, another will say “thanks!”.

1 Like

Try playing with four dice instead of two. Many more doubles, of course. Also you move farther on each turn and pass GO much more often, so more money to play. The game can be over very quickly – a big plus!

3 Likes

The light blues and the browns (dark purples) are very useful for the house hoarding option. Between them, you can get 20 houses for $1000, leaving the other 12 houses for the remaining players, almost certainly guaranteeing victory.

The oranges are, by far, the best Monopoly to own, both because double-threes and double-fours getting out of Jail land there, but also because New York Avenue is three spaces behind Chance, and the “Go Back Three Spaces” Chance card helps hit that. Boardwalk is rarely landed on naturally, but there is the Chance card sending players there, so it balances, ending up in the middle of the pack as far as landing frequencies go.

One key to making Monopoly less unfun is to stick to the rules as written. The common house rule of the Free Parking jackpot will turn an hour-long game into a day-long game.

One variant my language nerd friends and I used to play was a four-board version with the Go spaces in the middle, where we would travel the boards in a clover leaf pattern. Each board–a different international version–had its own currency, and only that currency could be used on that board. If you needed a different currency, the bank would convert it for a 10% fee. (We also had a rule that you had to conduct business in the language of the board you were currently on. Yeah–we were nerds.) The advantage of having four boards is that it made luck less of a factor: I have played a game of standard Monopoly where I landed on precisely zero properties I could buy and went bankrupt on my third time around the board. With four boards, everyone has a good chance to get good properties and strategic trading is more important.

3 Likes

Agree that Jenga is a more accurate representation of capitalism for slightly different reasons.

Take from the bottom, give to the top until the whole thing collapses, rinse and repeat.

4 Likes

what do you do with triple? I like this rule.
BTW: Why would a Bodega sell triple dice?

Trump - The Board Game

3 Likes

Well as far as I’m concerned he’s a native New Yorker but he lives in Florida.
Is “Trump” Moscow open yet?

Even worse that Zimbabwe or Weimar was the 1945-46 post-WW2 Hungarian hyperinflation where they adjusted the currency at a ratio of 10^21 to 1 and then, about a year later, by another 10^29:1 – a total of 10^50.

I read somewhere (though I don’t see it on the Wikipedia) that at the end of the currency, the total cash supply in the country was worth less than USD $1, and then were - by radio broadcast - declaring that certain notes were simply worth more than they were earlier in the day.

2 Likes

Wow, I had not heard of that. Thanks!

I mean… i could be completely obvious… and set fire to the board… BUT thats like refusing to play in the first place…

Deliberately overbidding seems to be a good strategy… because it looks like i’m actively playing, and anyone who notices is it will think they notice it because they are a better player at the god forsaken stupid game.

My grandparents had a very old set in which they added a set of hand-typed stock certificates, with Free Parking turned into the Stock Exchange, where you had the option to buy or sell stock. I forgot how stocks were valued, though, or how they fluctuated, and there were also dividends to consider. The set is long-gone.

Playing with Stock Exchange rules, collecting stocks was a great way to counter someone who had lots of properties.

2 Likes

Just like real life!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.