Teaching an AI to play Monopoly

Originally published at: Teaching an AI to play Monopoly | Boing Boing

Does it learn the “flip the board/table out of anger” strategy?

11 Likes

That poor AI. This should be classed an an ethics violation.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Teaching an AI to hate its creators.

Fixed the headline for ya.

8 Likes

When I saw this video show up a week or so ago, I watched simply because of the browns tag.

I play Monopoly a lot (bring on the judgement, OP!) and I often try to get the browns. They’re really good. Dirt cheap, look unimportant next to Boardwalk, but easy to build houses/hotels and have a substantial hit when doing so.

5 Likes

Now teach it The Landlord’s Game so we can make a bot that will corner you at parties and talk endlessly about the land value tax.

2 Likes

I am a Monopoly fiend as well. I get so invested that my family has banned the game at our house.

5 Likes

Does it let children do well for a bit and then punish them mercilessly?

8 Likes

ShamefulTestyBlackandtancoonhound

8 Likes

It took me a while to figure out the “Browns” were Baltic and Mediterranean become brown? They’re dark purple on every set I own.

Also, players who will trade made a big difference. Back in junior high school, I read that the best ROI monopoly to own is orange (just before Jail). That factored in the probability of people landing on it, the cost of the properties, the costs of building houses, and the rents. There was even an ideal number of houses to build on each of the three properties to maximize the return. I thought that was cool, so I wrote my own simulator to determine the frequency of landing on each of the spaces, and they mostly matched the stats in the article I had read (despite the fact that I probably used a crummy pseudo-random number generator because I didn’t know any better back then).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.