If public speaking chills you to the core, this training can exile that fear forever

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/12/if-public-speaking-chills-you.html

That’s not “literally” “worse than death”.

5 Likes

Or… you could join Toastmasters for free!

2 Likes

In all seriousness, here’s my advice.

I don’t like particularly like public speaking. I don’t really like being a center of attention. But after doing it enough times it doesn’t really bother me all that much anymore. I know my limitations - I am not a particularly gifted orator so I try to compensate for this by simply knowing my shit before I present.

What really helps for me is basic preparation - just doing a run through by myself or bouncing it off a friend. I will have some basic notes to make sure I hit all the “beats” I want to hit. If I feel prepared, then I’m not as nervous. Also realize that most people probably aren’t paying super close attention to you as a presenter so much as what you’re presenting. If you make a mistake acknowledge it and move on, and if you flub just keep on going. (I find it helps to inject some humor too - even if it’s cheesy. A couple expertly placed memes in a slide deck is always a crowd pleaser.)

If you have to do a Q&A, for goodness sake don’t just make some shit up it you don’t know the answer. Just say you don’t know but you’ll try to find out.

2 Likes

What? Toastmasters is very much not free. It costs to sign up, and it has membership fees of about £100 a year.

1 Like

2 Likes

I sold crap door-to-door with canned spiels. I shouted obscene slogans on an urban street-corner to sell underground papers and comix. I survived as a busker later. Then I took a junior college class in public speaking – and never spoke to groups again. Moral: Do what ya gotta do.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.