If Russia nukes the U.S., here’s how the Emergency Alert System will work

But but, the blockchain!

18 Likes

It’s radio, tv, cable, wireless tv(satellite), even SiriusXM participates.

It’s possible you miss an alert but millions around you would be panicing so you might suspect something was up.

I believe most cell phones that can receive text messages would also get the alert much Ike amber alerts.

The FCC was talking about services like Pandora but I have no idea if that went anywhere.

5 Likes

When I was a kid in the 60s we played this weird “game” where, when the TV networks would play the Emergency Broadcast System test message and sound (eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee), we would pretend to scream and panic and run into the bedroom and hide under the covers so we couldn’t hear the “evil” sound.

I suppose that was actually a legitimate “duck and cover” exercise for my very weird family.

10 Likes

Really not that excited about this Ted Talk, but thanks?t

13 Likes

Most people driving cars. People with emergency/weather radios. I assume the signal is also transmitted over other mediums.

8 Likes

It is… And contrary to popular belief, lots of people DO still listen to radio over the airwaves…

13 Likes

Those integer elites need to come out into the real world.

2 Likes

As a teen and young man in the 1970s and '80s, I often thought I would drive toward the nearest ground zero if the warning sirens started. My dad had to point out that all lanes of traffic would be headed away from the blast zone.

I would want to live through a nuclear holocaust even less, now that I’m older. Best of luck to the rest of you.

4 Likes

There is a system that will reach cell phones as well as TV and radio. It was famously triggered by accident in 2018 in Hawaii. 2018 Hawaii false missile alert - Wikipedia

12 Likes
4 Likes

FWIW, the Russian army has proven itself to be less than fearsome over the last few weeks. It seems that Russia can’t be arsed to maintain its current/new military equipment. It seems to me that maintaining all that stuff from before the mid '80s was probably an even lower priority.

When you have massive corruption at the top it’s fair to assume that it’s grifters all the way down.

Personally, I’m not too worried about getting nuked by old Soviet weapons. Has Putin got new nukes? Maybe. But I doubt he has very many.

1 Like

Yeah, the very real nuclear threat we have to worry about is fallout from tactical nukes and from an “accident” at a nuclear power plant caused by “Ukrainian rebels”.

Not Global Thermonuclear War.

6 Likes

BOOM if you are still alive you want to know which way the wind is blowing

yup. I live 10km from the final assembly point for all nuclear weapons in the US. In the 80’s we didn’t even bother pretending to have “nuclear preparedness” drills in school like the rest of the state.

3 Likes

Even if only 20% of them work, the prospect of a nuclear exchange is pretty daunting.

6 Likes

Dark. True, but dark.

3 Likes

Another 80s revival, huh?

:slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

In a full scale exchange, be near any large metropolitan area.

I’m pretty sure my job site is a target (power infrastructure), and I can see at least three likely targets within a couple of miles. If the balloon goes up, no point in trying to get away. No where for me to go.

3 Likes

It wasn’t fun the first time. I saw “The Day After” when it was new. Then “Threads” shortly thereafter. Decided there and then I don’t want to see the other side of that hellscape.

5 Likes

Cash will be useless. We’ll need goods to barter. Lucifer’s Hammer by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle gives a good rundown on what would happen from a comet strike. A nuke would add lots of fallout over and above the shockwaves.

When I saw that, the realization that a nuclear exchange had begun would be from seeing your own weapons on the way to kill millions of people would probably be the only notice most people would get. Terrified and depressed me.

12 Likes