If Russia nukes the U.S., here’s how the Emergency Alert System will work

Doesn’t mean that there isn’t better advice that’s come down the pike since then.

1 Like

6 Likes

I live in Washington State almost halfway between Joint Base Lewis/McChord and Hanford. If by some weird chance I were to survive, I hope that radroach meat is as tasty as it is depicted.

4 Likes

I remember our school, in a suburb of NYC, doing exactly one such drill when I was in third grade – about 1975ish. Fire alarm goes off, we evacuate as usual, but there are buses in the parking lot, which we’re supposed to board. Except nobody told the teachers, and they realize that once we’re on board the buses they could in theory take us anywhere. Arguments, in front of us students, between teachers, administrators, and the state-level functionary who is refusing to say where the buses are going ensue, so we are sent back inside, where we had a class about what happened and why, in the case of an actual emergency, we would instead be sent home or use the basement of the school as a shelter. Given the number of upset students who told their parents what happened, the next few PTA and town hall meetings were quite energetic, and resulted in policies that reinforced the whole “students are responsibiilty of the school,” and not some random government employee who doesn’t have written authority from the parents/guardians.

I found out later that the first few schools which had participated basically saw the kids bussed to a local military base, fed lunch, then drove back, but that they hilariously “lost” a few kids who wandered off while they were supposed to be eating their lunch, after which the program was canceled. Considering that the military base and, in all likelyhood, everyting around NYC would be on fire, irradated, blasted into rubble, and similarly destroyed, I can only imagine the politicians who initiated this initiative simply didn’t understand that in some situations, staying in place in a big granite and brick building with a fallout shelter in the basement was the best option, instead of separating children from their parents.

13 Likes

giphy (42)

8 Likes

I just started a Survival Mode play through last weekend. Thank goodness for radroaches.

2 Likes

unfortunate event of a nuclear strike

You could probably find a better word than “unfortunate.”

5 Likes

“Hilarious” or “Enjoyable” don’t fit, although “Surprise” is less panic inducing, I’m sticking with “Unfortunate” seeing as “Avoidable” is apparently out too.

8 Likes

Annoying?

5 Likes

Inconvenient?

10 Likes

Perfect!

5 Likes

“Perfect” is probably aiming high unless you’re a cockroach.

5 Likes

No, I meant “inconvenient” is le mot juste.

4 Likes

Sounds a touch National Pride and Extreme Prejudice to me,

“On Tuesday last we were most put out by an inconvenient nuclear strike, Mother dropped a saucer and Tabitha quite got the vapours.”

12 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

“…and Tabitha was quite vapourised.”

8 Likes

"The rusty wire
That holds the cork
That keeps the anger in
Gives way
And suddenly it’s day again

The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done