If you are curious about car horns and klaxons, here's the video for you

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/27/if-you-are-curious-about-car-h.html

2 Likes

I’ve been considering getting a more substantial horn for my Fiat 500e, and had been looking at train horns. The Klaxon sounds way cheaper and about as much fun. I’ll have to pick one up and put it on a relay. (Though I still need to make the default noisemaker sound like a Jetsons car)

1 Like

I upgraded my motorcycle horn because it sounded like a Fiat :-p … I got this model because space is at a premium. It is substantially louder, but I’ve been right behind people turning in to my lane and it won’t make them look up from their cell phones. (not that I ever depended solely on a horn for safety). Go big and/or different; people refuse to pay attention.

2 Likes

Really? Nine minutes of video for that tiny bit of information. Nah, I don’t want to devote that much time.

FYI that channel has some excellent videos on forgotten or obscure technology.

4 Likes

This is the exact horn in question, as it turns out:
https://www.harborfreight.com/110-db-old-fashioned-sound-ooga-air-horn-96291.html

tl;dr: there are 2 modern kinds of car horns. There are ones which are basically just raw loudspeakers and ones which have a little horn on them. The horn ones have a more pleasing sound. Depending on where you live your manufacturer may have given you 1 horn or 2, the 2 sounds nicer because it makes a chord, but it’s more expensive. The old school car horn is a klaxon which is a metal disc with a bump on it driven by a motor. The bump rides over ridges on a track and wobbles the disc, creating sound.

3 Likes

From the (OMG, 9 minutes! That’s an eternity!) video:

…whichever countries use sirens that sound like that - I’d pick some out, but I’m sure there would be some nuance, or complication I am unaware of, and that would annoy enough of you to write comments about it, which would annoy me, so I won’t.

This guy internets.

3 Likes

It’s very well written, though; certainly makes me want to watch more from that channel.

… This would certainly be an effective horn, should you put one on your vehicle.

But should you put one on your vehicle? …

2 Likes

Technology Connections is an addictive channel for anyone into the history of tech. Nine minutes is actually pretty succinct for them; they normally do extremely deep dives. It’s much more than your normal surface overview of topics on a lot of explainer type channels.

3 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.