If you are in LA, come to Nicoletta Ceccoli's art opening at Corey Helford Gallery

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/18/if-you-are-in-la-come-to-nico.html

3 Likes

The style and general theme reminds me very much of Mark Ryden’s EP cover art from 2008.

3 Likes

This or similar styles are becoming a trend, I think.

It also feels reminiscent of Ray Caesar.

1 Like

If trending, I wonder if it’s inspired (consciously or otherwise) by the ‘big-eyed waif’ art of Walter Keane who (as far as I know) started all this decades ago.

If trending, then perhaps there may be a popular market for so-called outsider art (such as Heinrich Muller’s cell wall painting below; schizophrenic artists tend to depict huge eyes).
:wink:

muller7

1 Like

No offense, but I think you mean Margaret Keane. :wink:

It very well could be. So much art is built upon the previous.

3 Likes

No offense since you’re right!

2 Likes

Yeah, Ryden did the RHCP “One Hot Minute” album artwork as well. Both seem to borrow heavily from the Little Golden Books aesthetic – i.e. Gustav Tenggren, Corinne Malvern et al. and maybe borrowing a little from Margaret Tarrant.

2 Likes

I had to look up Tenggren (I’d never heard of him)… and lo’ and behold! For over a year now I’ve been digging deeper into the music of Gustav Mahler, Richard Strauss, Arnold Schoenberg, and others of that period (circa 1910). In doing so I’ve seen that their ofttimes dark aesthetic is often paired with contemporaneous artwork touching on sinister folklore… and oblivion. (Stay with me here.) One Tenggren painting – Among Gnomes and Trolls – just popped right out; stylistically and thematically similar to the works of European painters who were representative of the pre-WWI Expressionist Movement (comprising composers, writers, poets, and painters…to an extent fueled by Freud’s popularized explorations of the subconscious to reveal ultimately dark inner truths). Looking at Tenggren’s early, mid, and later art, I see a clear evolving connection starting with the intentionally dark atmospheric themes (sometimes associated with death) explored by the Expressionists and Tenggren’s later children’s book art. In other words, if Tenggren’s Little Golden Books art had any influence on Ryden (and Ceccoli??) then they may owe something to the pre-WWI, death-obsessed, into-the-id, Expressionists. I think that’s worth looking into.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.