If you can work remotely, Barbados want you to come and stay for a year

They also have national health care. I was on vacation in Barados and was in a scooter accident. I was taken to hospital in an ambulance, had x-rays, stitches, and left the hospital with prescription meds. They charged me $100 dollars–for everything. In the US, it would have been 100 times that.

11 Likes

Better avoid Bermuda then. It’s just 20.5 square miles, with a significant fraction of that being the airport and private golf courses.

1 Like

“This just in: island nation seeks tax revenue boost by welcoming outsiders, commits pandemic suicide. Film at 11.”

2 Likes

Yeah, but I hear they have good triangles, so…

2 Likes

in a giant nation-state, instead of having more resources to get more done, we have more excuses

on a tiny island, where “national,” “state,” and “local” are the same thing, they just do it, no problem

2 Likes

Came here to say the same.

Fun fact: although the official language of St Lucia is English, the local creole is based on French.

1 Like

I can not work remotely, if that will suffice.

5 Likes

Yes, that is Petit Piton on Saint Lucia in the photo. Gros Piton is behind it; you cannot see it from this angle. They are two volcanic “necks” or plugs.

3 Likes

“It starts out fun but then you realize that there’s nothing to do but go to the beach, get drunk and sleep with tourists. Everyone who works here is a divorced alcoholic”.

Are you sure it wasn’t the island of Manhattan ?

4 Likes

600 down/175 Mbps up is $255BBBD a month or $127USD.
Fiber 1000/500 Mbps is $505 or $253USD.

If you want a bigger island Puerto Rico has a bunch of tax advantages, especially for business owners, when moving there. There are issues to consider with any move to a Caribbean island, hurricanes being one of them.

4 Likes

You still have to work.

Given the uplink my current employer has, and which I have to share with hundreds of others on the VPN: does this matter?

What does matter is that they are pushing to get us back to the office. I am already contemplating to get a lawyer.

On the other hand, in the US they have safer roads, safer drivers, and safer scooters, so there’s that.

When people suggest living on an island, I wonder more about the elevation and volcanic activity than the size.
:desert_island: :ocean:

2 Likes

This is the Arthur Clarke future of remote working, where people would plonk a temporary home down on an African plain for a year, just for a change of scenery.

3 Likes

I’m in. Utterly, completely. Now all I need is the job…

(I’ve enjoyed lockdown. My wife wants to see other people, my son has been going crazy without friends…but I’ve enjoyed the quiet. I don’t think I want anyone else. Is that wrong?)

3 Likes

Not so sure about that. The United States is pretty horrible for road safety, at least among developed nations (if we still can be included in that category), and it has a lot more roads than Barbados. Big wide roads where people drive very fast. And I suspect people in the US travel many, many more miles by car on average than in Barbados (you can’t drive very far on a small island!)

These are the best stats I could find tor comparison; I think the numbers here are road traffic deaths as a percentage of all deaths. I’d rather look at traffic deaths per person per year but I couldn’t find that. Anyway, Barbados comes out ahead:

3 Likes

Hmmm, only a 2 hour time difference from my employer’s office, which beats the 4 hour difference I’m currently working with. But I do live on a small island in the middle of the Pacific, so the appeal is a little less immediate. Now, if this had come up while we were still knee-deep in southern Indiana? Mighty tempting.

Just don’t go if you’re gay or care about LGBT rights…

1 Like

And suddenly there is a land rush based on tax, longitude, altitude above max sea level, proximity to the beach and availability of high speed broadband data.

Makes me question my purchase of expensive, inner city real estate.

1 Like