If you cry at work, pretend it's because you're very passionate about your job

That explains a carpload about me.

2 Likes

Wait. Hold on. Nerd moment here.

I have demolished concrete, rocks, buildings, you name it. I never, ever used more than an eight lbs sledge. I am not questioning your observation, but are you sure it was 40? Don’t ask me details, but I can break anything with a five pounder, and inertia.

(If it is a 40 lbs sledge, I need pics to ogle at :sunglasses:)

4 Likes

Maybe not that heavy on clearer thinking but it was quite heavy to heft up with one arm.
Sadly this was nigh on 20 years ago. He may still have it in his office at Microsoft where he is now.

2 Likes

Just a little follow up, we had a great and very productive conversation today that I think will lead to growth and moving through some challenges our department must navigate as an inherent part of the business we’re in. Made sure she understood darn well that I was well aware of others not pulling adequate weight in various ways, she’s not being singled out, we’re a small group and as such all have to really be checksums on one another and all take responsibility for things from our individual perspectives, because all of us directly benefit from our being very efficient and cohesive as a team. Yada yada, welcome to my life. :wink:

I am not challenging any of your assertions. 8-10 lbs is great for a full time job. A 40lbs, yeah, that’s like a couple times, you put it away, and hand out good performance reviews :sunglasses:

To be clear I would love to have an enormous sledge. Especially if it was only used for fun. The phrase, “PC load letter , wtf is that!?” is still burned in my brain. And a 40lbs sledge could help that.

2 Likes

Oh there were a few printers I suggested the techs ‘fix’ by dropping them from the roof of the building.
When the old PS/2 dos servers were being sent to surplus way back when I had a desk in one of the small server rooms. The desktop guy (who later went on to work with security) was in prepping them by letting them drop to the concrete floor from the top shelf cause there were engineers intercepting them to use as a private under the desk server.

1 Like

Omg, I know we know we aren’t that old, but that makes me feel old.

3 Likes

It will be half a century for me this year…

5 Likes

That is an awfully trusting (or very confident in being well liked) manager.

In most places I’ve worked, managers wouldn’t exactly be comfortable around an employee armed with a potentially deadly weapon…

1 Like

YEAH! (suffer in silence like the rest of us sad SOB’s!)

only partly sarcasm…

But that’s a good point. There are almost always other ways to make money. Maybe not as much as you currently make, or maybe not enough to maintain your current lifestyle, and almost everybody hates their job to some degree (that’s why they have to pay you to go there after all), but as stated above, if you hate it so much that you’re routinely crying, it’s probably time to consider other options.

(and yes, I do understand that not everyone is well off enough to just pack up and move or job search for an extended period, but there are often more options than people want to acknowledge).

1 Like

Just for reference, here’s a 16 lb sledge (which was the heaviest they had available at the Home Depot when I bought it):

Definitely a two-handed melee implement. If I ever needed a heavier one, I’d hire something motorized.

6 Likes

Crossfit sledges will go up to 50kg. Not all that useful for regular use, but you’re not buying a 50kg hammer to be practical.

Me, I’d go for one of them Harley Quinn sized wooden mallets. Comedy size and still usable.

5 Likes

this was mine (nealy 10 years ago. shit, I’m old.)

to give the workplace a human touch I had a mobile over the desk: patch cables knotted in hangman’s nooses

2 Likes

That hammer looks appropriately used :smiley:

2 Likes

I am both pleased and relieved to note that there’s no human or animal DNA to speak of on the business end. Mine has been a pacific life so far.

2 Likes

Mine either. Concrete? Oh carp yes.

2 Likes

That kind of sledge is used to level foundation posts into soil. You get the post down to about knee height with a post driver, then switch to the sledge to get it the rest of the way into the soil (since the head’s so heavy, you basically drop the head on top of the post most of the way down… less effort than actually swinging the hammer. When the soil below gets hard, you might actually swing the sledge a bit to get it the last inch or so down).

Not sure what a Boeing employee would do with it, since it’s much easier to do that kind of stuff with, you know, stuff that uses electricity or burns diesel, but in the jungle, it’s what you use.

First: dude, tasteless.
Second: wouldn’t that bend the cords past their minimum bend radius, thus ruining the cables?

1 Like

ad 1: taste-what? we’re talking about me here!
ad 2: still good enough for a stable 10BASE-T connection

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.