If you have a Mac, use this retro Terminal to pay games like it's 1982

Originally published at: If you have a Mac, use this retro Terminal to pay games like it's 1982 | Boing Boing

3 Likes

@frauenfelder: is this the software to which you’re referring?

1 Like

Also available for Linux:

2 Likes

Try playing the text adventure Dunnet on it, which ships on most version’s of UNIX (including Mac OS).

something seems a tad bit skewed here to this decrepit *nix’er. (bona-fides: been wrastl’n with versions of unix since AT&T system V) …and i never heard of “Dunnet”. Colossal Cave Adventure, or just “Adventure”, (later ‘Zork’) for sure! y’know: “Twisty little maze of passages…”. but not ‘Dunnet’; which doesn’t even show up on a (fulsome) Debian package search. …curious… [shrug] i blame m’self.

Anyway, happy happy retro!

2 Likes

I was eaten by a Grue too many times in my youth to tempt them again.

3 Likes

BTDT, have the lantern.

Just because I tried “You have been eaten by a grue” as a prompt to bing

4 Likes

The perfect use for this is Telehack. It’s a whole simulated 80s/90s internet with a fun hacking game built in. I haven’t played for ages, and unless they’ve reset the game, it’s impossible to unseat the top players, but still a lot of fun!

3 Likes

Windows Terminal has a built-in “retro terminal effects” which gives CRT scanlines and phosphur glow. It doesn’t lean into the effect as hard as the one featured in this article (no screen curvature and such), but I do enjoy having it as a standard feature on the standard app.

2 Likes

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers Someone GIF

4 Likes

It’s a darn shame I’ve not been able to find an easy way to apply a filter to a Mac display to make it look amber monochrome (or green, or classic macintosh bluish greyscale for that matter). There are various ways you could do this on Windows.

I’ve always found it calming for my non-neurotypical soul, and I’m sure is more than just nostalgia.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.