If you like Boing Boing you might like... on Netflix

I typically avoid series, probably due to lingering commitment issues; only just watched 30 Rock and The Office last year (I saw The IT Crowd, Sherlock and Peep Show before that. as well as An Idiot Abroad, but not the original The Office (I just think Ricky Gervais is mean, if sometimes delightfully so) (observe obvious anglophilia)). I LOVE documentaries! So I feel very sad to report that Too Far Is Not Far Enough: The Tomi Ungerer Story is no longer available to stream (at least here in the USA). Though you CAN see Trick or Treaters which is a delightful animated film based on one of his stories (could only find a german trailer). Another I recently saw is Flamenco, Flamenco. It is an immensely beautiful and moving expository by showing and doing. I canā€™t recommend it enough if you are in the mood to be transported. The Wrecking Crew is also very enlightening if you are interested in music industry intel as well gender dynamics in male dominated fields.

1 Like

If you need or want to spend and hour and a half crying tears of joy over the sheer goodness of humanity, I can not more recommend Batkid Begins. I know the trailer has the craptastic sappy music, but seriously, this is SO FABULOUS.

Continuum and chuck.

So youā€™re sayin Ip Man isnā€™t about fighting for Intellectual Property, with swords?

Bummer. But I will still totally check it out.

3 Likes

If I were to be completely honest, for the longest time, we didnā€™t watch it because I couldnā€™t shake the IP=intellectual property notion, and couldnā€™t register it as a name. :wink:

1 Like

I tried to watch the remake, but couldnā€™t get all the way through the first episode. Itā€™s too clean and pretty.

Try the original. God, that one had me spellbound when it first came out. Itā€™s the only old series that I have sat down and watched all the way through again as a very busy adult with too many other responsibilities to waste time watching anything a second time instead of something new. It REALLY evokes Cornwall in a way that the new one simply doesnā€™t.

1 Like

Thank you! I have friends who live near there, so itā€™ll be a good watch on several levels for me.

1 Like

Daaamn, Ip Man made me into a Donnie Yen fanatic. Seeing him in the latest Crouching Tiger sequel just made me squee for hours on end.

1 Like

I squeed when I saw on IMDB that heā€™s going to be in Rogue One.

1 Like

Probably not on Netflix, but if you areā€¦ less scrupulous, Chris morrisā€™s Blue Jam is brilliantly dark surreal humour. Roy Mallardā€™s People Like Us is good as well. Same stable of comedians & writers pretty much. Big Train as well. And Spaced.

1 Like

Yay for People Like Us, an unfairly overlooked mockumentary trailblazer imho.

ā€œIs it south-facing?ā€ the prospective buyer asks the estate agent. ā€œIn the mornings, yes,ā€ he replies.

From memory, may be shaky!

Also bravo for the shout-out to Big Train, another oft-forgotten classic.

2 Likes

Super topical and a lovely movie with a great female lead, a story line about a lawyer who follows his dharma to a purposeful and lucrative career, and the story behind a 20th century masterpiece. Rate +10 for HELEN MIRREN being AMAZING as usual.

I quite enjoyed the lemony snicket series that was brought out recently.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.