If you live in an old house, your bathroom wall might be full of razor blades

Originally published at: If you live in an old house, your bathroom wall might be full of razor blades | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Not only houses built between those years, but also older houses renovated between those years.

7 Likes

Yep, here’s some from one of my houses

They were ubiquitous

20 Likes

Hmmmm…so a pile of items covered in the DNA of the prior residents? I smell a plot line!

20 Likes

If you were upscale and fancy, you had a wall tile dedicated to it:

26 Likes

Disappointed. I’m pretty sure my walls (and foundations) are only full of Grain Belt Beer cans that my father-in-law disposed of during construction.

10 Likes

The Tell Tale Sharp?

17 Likes

I found those in an old house I used to own. Condom tins, as well.

4 Likes

This practice still boggles my mind. It’s on par with kids shoving uneaten food down the sink (sans disposer).

3 Likes

both the medicine cabinets in my house had the slots. But the upstairs bathroom which was for the kids had no razor blades in the wall, while the downstairs bathroom next to the master bedroom had a couple of dozen.

2 Likes

Well that’s just weird because in the Old Days kids shaved all the time.

21 Likes

In 60’s & 70’s I and good friend did demolition work on old homes built prior to say late 1800’s. The stand out item we always found was deceased critters, never found anything of worth.

7 Likes

I’ve also done a lot of demo work on old houses, and we found everything from pint whiskey bottles to old newspapers to tools that fell into the stud bays. Only once did we find a ring, but no idea how it got there. A rat, maybe?

3 Likes

If you live in a pyramid all of those blades are still going to be razor sharp too!

19 Likes

FYI: I still use one of those safety razors, and the blades definitely last longer than one use. It’s a much more environmentally friendly method than tossing billions of plastic pieces into landfills, IMO. Gives a perfectly good shave as well.

14 Likes

Sure, if you’re Wilhelm Reich!

3 Likes

I was using double edge blades for a while. Popped them right into the slot in my 50s era medicine cabinet because why not.

7 Likes

I believe the thinking was that by then, they would rusted to dullness if not rusted away entirely.

1 Like

Construction workers? Our houses are built to last forever!

2 Likes

In the clip below (you may have to click through) the swivel half-way through is a neat touch.

10 Likes