If you need to make a liter of coffee, here's a French press for you

Originally published at: If you need to make a liter of coffee, here's a French press for you | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Doesn’t everyone need one of these before they leave the house?

3 Likes

I forget my thermodynamics-- are larger french presses more or less susceptible to heat loss?

Full emersion cold brew with a 1 liter mason jar 1 & 1/2 cup of coarse ground coffee, place in the jar, fill with H2o, let sit for 12 - 16 hours, [or if your dare 1 gallon glass jar with 3 & 1/2 cups of coarse ground coffee]. Your yield will be low acid delicious cold brew coffee [sans electricity], pour over ice, heat for hot coffee drinks, it’s the cheapest GREEN way to enjoy a good consistent cup of Java every time. Yes, the coffee grounds? You know it’s ready when the coffee grounds are stable at the bottom, compost those coffee grounds too. If you are really picky regarding the grounds buy the small cotton bags to place the coffee in for easy clean up…

Tell them Papasan sent you…

6 Likes

The main advantage of Bodum pots for me is that even years later you can get spare parts. I have replaced the glass carafe in my 4 cup pot twice already.

1 Like

Do yourself a favour and buy one of the double walled metal ones instead. They are virtually indestructible, unlike these glass ones, which seem to self destruct if you look at them funny. They also keep your coffee hot for a surprisingly long time.

Hmm, time for coffee.

6 Likes

A liter of coffee sounds about right. But I’m thinking about cutting down. Has anyone out there in BB land ever tried making Cascara tea? That is the dried coffee cherry. Low in caffeine and apparently with a sweet chocolatey taste. I do not mean Cascara Sagrada - the herbal tea. Cascara is Spanish for peel so there are many types of cascara. This is about the coffee cherry.

2 Likes

Nah man, I used to crack the glass beaker for my Bodum on a bi-weekly basis.

What you want is a Grunwerg double walled French press in stainless steel. Grunwerg aren’t great on distribution so they’re not that easy to get hold of everywhere. But no worries. The fake version on AliExpress is perfectly workable – just search for ‘stainless steel cafetiere’ or something like that.

2 Likes

00__X-All-The-Y__FGD135__RAW_phixr

6 Likes

Man, bodum makes a lot of cafetieres.

That looks like a Kenya, which is currently (for me) on sale for £13:85.

If I wanted to spend more money I think I’d rather go for the Chambord, because I’ve been there and it’s awesome.

Yup. Metal is best

P.S.PSA: Do not use your glass French press to make opium tea, it will explode and scald you in the nuts

2 Likes

yeah, but then the opium would cancel out any discomfort. I don’t see a problem here.

3 Likes

Yeah, but you have to suck the opium tea out of your pants.

2 Likes

Came for the cheap cold brew advocates, was not disappointed.

1. Grounds and water go in press pot
  2. Press pot goes in fridge
  3. Sun goes down
  4. Alarm goes ping
  5. Coffee goes in me
  6. Grounds go in compost

Rinse, repeat.

I’ve got a pitcher to hold the excess so I can always keep a fresh batch steeping, and have leftovers for cold brew ice cubes: vital for California summer survival beverages.

2 Likes

ugh. Wafer thin glass french presses. Just say no. Is there a legitimate reason they’re NOT made as thick as a Mason jar?

1 Like

I like my IKEA Egentlig. It’s double-walled glass, so I can see what’s going on, which I prefer, and it keeps my coffee hot for a surprisingly long time. It’s also only $20 and looks very nice on my countertop. I can’t quite get a full liter out of it, but 900mL is close enough. Now I just need a grinder that does more than 50g at a time, so it doesn’t take me forever to prep a pitcher of cold brew.

1 Like

Here’s something I didn’t know until just a few days ago, and although I use a metal reusable filter in my brewing method I’ll be switching back to paper, though I do reuse my paper filter for a week before disposing (no weird oil tastes or fungus/mold growth occurs).

“When brewed without a paper filter, as in French press, Norwegian boiled coffee, espresso or Turkish coffee, oily chemicals called diterpenes come through that can raise artery-damaging LDL cholesterol. However, these chemicals are virtually absent in both filtered and instant coffee.”

1 Like

Buy ALL the coffee makers

Been there, done that.

Has there ever been a BB post about a coffee maker that didn’t quickly lead to a suggestion of a completely different way of making coffee?

5 Likes

Yes. My life became much better (and cheaper) after I switched from Bodum to a cheap-ass stainless Highwin press. Which I finally did after breaking my 5th Bodum carafe.

1 Like

Just as long as it doesn’t somehow turn into a knife-sharpening thread…

1 Like