If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

There aren’t a lot of oak trees in Tucson proper, but the Ratel kit found one today, and was able to bring home a present for his Totoro.

15 Likes

Acorns are raining off the oak trees in my yard. A slight breeze the other night, and it sounded like hail on the roof. If you want a bag of them to dribble out of a bag with a hole in the bottom for your little one to follow, I can set you up.

10 Likes

The Doctor has some explaining to do…

9 Likes

While it wasn’t as bad as it was last year, my back yard has a mature black walnut tree. Nothing like hearing walnuts smack onto the roof - or having to wear a helmet when going out back.

Too bad that didn’t get cut down 50 years ago… planting one of those things should be considered an act of war.

5 Likes

How could Doctor Who do such a thing?

3 Likes

Have you tried eating them? We had a black walnut tree in our yard when I was young. My dad remembered his mother baking with them, so one year we tried it. It’s quite a lot of trouble to get them open, though.

6 Likes

Well then…

5 Likes

Everything was bathed in violet light.

19 Likes

saw this in the window of the local print shop a moment ago:
151063_chroma

16 Likes

I thought that looked familiar

8 Likes

Big storm here on Tuesday night. My front yard has been redecorated.

I’m glad it missed the house.

IMG_2509

On Thursday I had to give a presentation at UMASS. I don’t get out to Amherst much, but when I do, I am always mildly surprised when I realize that it’s an odd place.

IMG_2501_Expurgated

18 Likes

Oh no! I’m glad your house wasn’t hit too!

Also, man, Western MA in the fall is gorgeous! No wonder my ancestors settled there.

8 Likes

Thank you!

The storm peaked around midnight; that tree coming down woke me up. I spent the next couple hours wandering around the dark house with a flashlight, peering suspiciously out the windows at all the nearby trees. A bit of preventative arbor care may be in order.

Western Mass is beautiful three out of four seasons. I’d live out there, but it’s an employment wasteland if you’re not attached to one of the universities.

11 Likes

Reminds me of a story from my childhood. As a kid, outside our rental was a very large tree that was right across from my sisters room that was dead and the landlord had not got it removed. One night in a massive storm, there was a lightening strike and what my sister thought was on that tree and she heard a large tree starting to fall… she was convinced it the tree that was going to come down right on her room, so she basically jumped down the stairs in a single bound… turned out it was a tree in a field across the street. I think the landlord was finally convinced to take it out not long after that and we had a stump there for the rest of the time we lived there.

Yeah, I’ve heard that about western MA… last time I was there was… late fall a few years ago for my aunt’s funeral.

7 Likes

I hadn’t previously noticed deer turning grey, but one of the neighbors says that’s a thing. (Might not be discernible in this photo.) Wonder if recent drought here has anything to do with it.

Also: autumnal rockets

20191018_170005

15 Likes

Explore titles related to:

Hah! No, Netflix. No.

11 Likes

Moon and yuccas

18 Likes

Local kid’s collection of Halloween inflatables. :ghost: :+1:
ETA @Wayward, more on this (and better pictures)…

11 Likes

Putting up holiday decorations is almost always an afterthought. The pumpkins from the obligatory class trip to the pumpkin patch do double duty for Halloween and Thanksgiving, for instance, but I love seeing other people going all out like this.

4 Likes

Around here any pumpkins left outside get eaten by the squirrels. We kind of make bets on how soon the jack-o-lantern will get its face eaten off. But that’s kind of cool—extends the grotesqueness of Halloween for a while…

7 Likes