If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

Fall break trip, breakfast technology.

17 Likes

Hotel breakfast machinery is a weird niche. I’ve never seen those automatic pancake machines, or their ancestor, the conveyor-belt toaster, in any other setting.

11 Likes

Went to see this today, and it’s absolutely beautiful.
Highly recommended!

10 Likes

I like the DIY waffle irons they sometimes have. What could possibly go wrong?

3 Likes

This one had an accompanying placard. Until I read it I thought the thing was made from flexible duct tubing.

16 Likes

This somewhat disturbing robot has been a fixture at Monash University for a few years, but it looks like someone’s added an unexpected feature.

And from behind

Close up

14 Likes

He looks like he could really use another unexpected feature…

2 Likes

I am probably late to the game on this one, but…

…someone has named a food product “Soylent.”

14 Likes

The general consensus on Soylent’s products harks back to Crocodile Dundee, “You can live on it, but it tastes like shit.”

They’ve been around for a little while and have a mixed track record.

Soylent’s founder, Rob Rhinehart, is either moderately eccentric:

or sort of a jackass:

7 Likes

But what does it taste like? How does it make you feel? What does it do to your, you know, um, poop and stuff?

Like a good reviews editor, I wanted to get my hands on some of this stuff and write about it, so I reached out to Rhinehart and asked if he wouldn’t mind shipping a bit of Soylent up to the Ars Orbiting HQ. I asked Senior Science Editor Dr. John Timmer if he wanted to partake, but I almost got my nose clipped off by his office door as he slammed it shut on me. (This experiment will be just me.) The “version” of Soylent we’ll be looking at is a new one, version 0.89. Prior to its release, Rhinehart and a group of “beta testers” are making continual improvements to the formula with feedback from nutritionists and a lot of blood testing.

Tl;dr; weirdly sustaining, scary poops.

The definition of eccentric is to be oddly charming or oddly fascinating…at a distance.

3 Likes

Hopefully one of you will recognize just what this is.

We found this critter in our window well. We got it out and went to set it free, but it didn’t act like you would expect a wild animal to act. It showed no fear of us. So we picked it back up until we can figure out if it’s someone’s pet that got loose before the storm drove it to take shelter in our window well.

But looking at the front legs, I’m more inclined to believe it’s a wild animal. I haven’t been able to get a good look at the teeth, because I’m trying to avoid handling it, but maybe it’s a mole rat?

Your opinions are welcome.

ETA it’s hard to tell from the pictures, but it’s body is about the size of my hand from fingertip to wrist. It’s not as massive as it looks.

ETA2 It turns out it may be a Botta’s pocket gopher, whatever that is…

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=botta+pocket+gopher&t=brave&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

ETA3 we let it go deep (by its size) in a field across a road from our house.

16 Likes

Oh this is so cool, I need to check if there’s a BoingboingBBS app so I an just post stuff here super casually. Love this thread :tada:

8 Likes

3 larvae in one Rue plant. I think they’re black swallowtail and/or short swallowtails. Had a little more luck with these than with monarchs in the milkweed.

Not sure what I did here, but here 'tis, anyway

17 Likes

(Tonite’s entertainment)

I’m apparently one of the youngest people here… :thinking:

13 Likes

Bugs are weird.

ETA: It’s an American dagger moth (Acronicta americana)

22 Likes

I have not seen any of these posters in person today, because I’m staying as far away from the crowds of the Chicago Marathon as I possibly can. But they’re still worth looking at!

10 Likes

My blue Ford Fiesta is like a TARDIS, except that it’s smaller on the inside.

7 Likes

My wife ran a tree care business out of her late Toyota Matrix, including hauling green waste, and on multiple occasions hauled two camps to Burning Man in it. I don’t think our Rav4 has half as much space.

7 Likes

#3:

Don’t threaten me with a good time

3 Likes

I like the guy dressed as the Humboldt park Alligator.

6 Likes