If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 2)

These are from our porch last night between 10 and 11 pm. Maine.

19 Likes

Obligatory…

14 Likes

So much bright pink in so many of the aurora shots, ones that were taken all over. A Guardian UK video showed images from Switzerland, elsewhere in Europe, and in the US w/pinks that were almost neon.

Love these pics!

10 Likes

Here’s a low key one from southern Australia

19 Likes

well i never…
i guess the aurora was visible as far south as Key Largo:

image credit Mike Thiess, Key Largo

i was not at home this weekend, so this is not my image, but i will take a gander tonight up here in Pasco County tonight.

18 Likes

Is that the aurora australis? Very cool!

9 Likes

Holy Cow!

7 Likes

I think so. Or maybe borealis? Taken from the balcony of the home in Mt Eliza where I’m currently pet-sitting. Mt Eliza is south east of Melbourne.

7 Likes

Australis. (Because southern hemisphere.)

I didn’t see a damn thing last night, but maybe I saw a glow which was like cityglow but in the opposite direction? We’re planning to head over to the bay this evening with a nice camera, see if we can see anything.

11 Likes

People I know got amazing shots last night from Black Rock so you shouldn’t have to go very far! And my not-very-good one was taken with my mobile using night or night vision mode so you might not even need a nice camera.

9 Likes

Took an overnight ferry the other day from Osaka to Beppu (the mighty Sunflower Murasaki, brand new last year). To my surprise they had some evening entertainment in the main atrium - not what I was expecting, but excellent anyway!

The Japanese just have a knack to throw themselves into a chosen creative form and give it 110%, washboard guy was top class:

And of course a walkabout of “When the Saints Go Marching In”:

11 Likes

Sunflower?!

When you want to be alone
When you want to be alone
Or when you want to meet someone
On a sea trip where the wind whispers
When you look at your heart
When you feel alive
When life is on fire
For a trip to the sea where dreams spread

Sunflower Sunflower Protected by the sun
Sunflower Sunflower Let’s be protected by the sun

People who love freedom
People who want to know things they have forgotten
Those who seek the world
For a trip to the sea, waiting for the blue sky

Sunflower Sunflower Protected by the sun
Sunflower Sunflower Let’s be protected by the sun

I got hip to Sunflower ferries and their theme song by the wonderful Solo Travel Japan

6 Likes

When I came across his channel and saw his first Sunflower trip - with the theme tune - a small muscle under my eyelid started twitching uncontrollably… I’d been on their ferries a couple of times, and the theme tune on loop for at least 30 mins before departure was wild.

This time around they only play it once every 3-4 Muzak tunes , in a hope that guests don’t start jumping overboard…

Thanks for the translation!

6 Likes

Solo’s translation is a bit different, but not that much.

Sunflower ferries are beautiful.

I freaked when he took a ferry - can’t recall which company’s - who had cabins which had no way to turn off the announcements! tophat-wow I think I had to give up on that one after 10mins at most.

Solo’s videos have made me wanna travel around Japan by ferry. It would be a ball with a small group of good friends…and a kindly, fun-loving translator.

6 Likes

15 Likes

17 Likes

A funny scene witnessed while driving through Lebanon, MO: A dude was selling right-wad flags at an abandoned gas station, but there was a cop there telling him to move on. The guy had just pulled down most of his collection of wares. He was angry, but the cop was clearly amused, as were my spouse and I.

Apologies for the low photo quality.

15 Likes

There’s a movie in that! Or maybe a good short story.

Look like the cop is holding a trash bag?

10 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been on one where you could only turn the volume down - not off. It’s a safety thing. Luckily they kept announcements to a minimum, and they have strict lights out times for the tourist shared cabins.

You absolutely should if you get the chance! This page has all you need to know for the major routes around the main islands:

It doesn’t cover the sections down to Okinawa, or the ones to other countries. My next run is this:

24 hours south of Tokyo on the Ogasawara Maru - and even though 1,000km south of Tokyo, they are still considered part of Tokyo prefecture!

7 Likes

15 Likes