If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

I took this in Las Vegas a year ago, it reminded me of Saul Goodman.

Watching Breaking Bad I thought everything about him was hilarious - the catchphrase, the commercials, it was all so far out. And when I saw this, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Lawyers really do that?!?

Somebody please enlighten me: is this man inspired by Saul Goodman or is it just standard lawyer behavior in the US? Also: is this what is meant by the term ambulance chaser?

7 Likes

If not “standard”, it’s fairly common in the U.S.

Yes, the derogatory term is “ambulance chaser”.

Saul Goodman’s character is based on lawyers like Ed here – not the other way around.

9 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up :+1:

7 Likes

Have you ever seen any of the ambulance chaser ads posted on Boing Boing?

Not because it’s a stand-out in the genre, just because it’s a memory from my old hometown:

5 Likes

We had an ad campaign taken off the air in Maine when I was growing up, because it literally had a scene in an ad with the lawyers doing a slow-walk with baseball bats to “symbolize” how tough they’d be in court…

I tried to find the reference, but lawyers are probably pretty hooked up with the web reputation scrubbing game…plus my search results were swamped by this guy:

5 Likes

No, never seen them. I don’t know how to ask without seeming a complete fool, but the Dan Ivy thing … is it a joke?

2 Likes

Nope. 

He went on to run for pretty much every elected office in Arkansas, but I think frankly was too decent and honest to go very far in the Republican Party.

2 Likes

I’m in tears, this is great! I’m going to have to find the ads post you mentioned.

I can’t tell you how odd this all seems to me, I love it.

3 Likes

Sounds wonderful! I’d love to see that ad, nothing like slow-walking men trying to look tough.

As your story from the Post indicates, lawyers should step away from baseball bats.

3 Likes

Another thing you’ll notice is that many of these lawyers have easy-to-remember phone numbers, like Ed’s 240-0000. There’s one billboard I see on I-70 that has the phone number 777-7777. That’s gotta cost them, but they can afford it.

5 Likes

Something much nicer to see by the side of the road…the purple tulips are always the last to bloom:

15 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that. It used to be a bigger deal here, I guess cell phones changed the need for them.

2 Likes

Considering that some hair care products tout things like “protein” as an “active ingredient”… possibly so.

4 Likes

Hey hummingbird.

16 Likes

Happy (Poorly Filtered) Hour:

11 Likes

Me too! North Florida for me. After I had a hundred or so I mounted them on a big section of bark from a fallen tree and entered it in the county fair, with, you know, some science-y text about their life cycle and whatnot. I forget the category, “Local Interest”? “Aboricultural Pests”? “Creepy Hobbies”? but I got a blue ribbon out of it, which was cool, and even better I got to hang out near the display area and watch people eye it and move in closer, then shudder and shy away when they figured out what they were looking at. The year after that I wanted to do a diorama of re-articulated skeletons, from a variety of sources, owl-pellets to road kill, but my mother was NOT into it and seeing as I was dependent on her for transportation (not to mention food and shelter) I put that dream on hold. Speaking of dioramas – https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/hairy-monkeys-china

7 Likes

Saw this weird splotch on the porch door yesterday, took me a while to realize what must have happened.

That was one seriously dirty bird.

21 Likes

Here’s mud in your eye!

8 Likes

Wow! We’re 2 or 3 months away from when they show up around here. We have a plant in the front yard called Korean mint. It has purple flowers that the goldfinches will mine until the seeds are all gone. (The insects like the flowers, too.)

Meanwhile here’s some Philadelphia fleabane (I think?) growing in the yard. I almost pulled it as a “weed” but once it bloomed it became a “wildflower.”

7 Likes

There used to be an attorney (though probably a lawyer)* in Austin named Bob Looney. He had a full-page ad in the Yellow Pages, wearing a cowboy hat and holding up his fists. I don’t remember the ad copy except that they were over-the-top song lyrics. That was about 30 years ago and he was pretty old, then.

*I have this vague recollection, probably incorrect in the first place, that in Texas the “lawyer” title means that person must have earned a law degree and passed the bar exam, whereas “attorney” is a special, top-stratified class of individuals whose qualification is that they must refer to themselves “attorneys” (i.e. the law degree’s optional).

5 Likes