If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

We’ve been clapping and banging pots and pans here with our neighbors. But we do 7pm, you guys mountain time?

3 Likes

You gotta love Guy Martin

9 Likes

When our assisted-living apartments were built, the developers gave the town a statue of the former mayor sitting on a park bench. (Kickbacks?) Traditionally people dress him in festive costumes during the Holidays. This week…

15 Likes

Stuff from recent walks…

I took this with a phone, from too far way, but those are fox kits on either side of the tree trunk in the center:

I don’t know what kind of bird this is, perched in the tree. In this photo (if anyone else can see it) it looks like a mockingbird. However, this is next to a pond, which these birds landed in (like ducks but smaller). From that distance they looked like amphibious, large starlings (they’re at least robin-sized, if not as large as crows). Not gulls nor herons. I’m guessing a tern, rail, or bittern.

This is in front of the high school, across the road from the entrance to our neighborhood. I don’t know how long it’s been there, but I only noticed it a few days ago:

An as-of-yet unsigned sculpture in a nearby park:

Judging from this detail, it appears to have been hewn from whatever tree used to be here:

17 Likes

No camera, but I took a bike ride around South Minneapolis this afternoon. Saw a lawn sign:

DR. ANTHONY FAUCI
        Make America Well Again

17 Likes

Especially interesting if you’re Michel Gondry.

11 Likes

pirate states of america

5 Likes

Half the time my Always-On-Spying-Device can’t manage to accurately add peanut butter to my shopping list with me shouting directly into the screen, but all of a sudden when I’m giving an impromptu math lesson to my kids, it nails it (non-consensually) word for word…

24 Likes

Thank you, that’s an excellent idea. I have been working from home the last six weeks, but am supposed to be back in the office in a week. Playing with this on my commute should keep me occupied and distracted from other people’s coughs and sneezes!

7 Likes

The seattle area is finally putting up new mass transit trains following the major North-south interstate. Can’t wait to see how they’re used.

6 Likes

Please post results, if anything catches your eye!

5 Likes

Pretty much like last month, but still pretty.

19 Likes

I took a photo of the fingernail moon and Venus earlier this year, too!

Needless to say, photography is not my—nor my phone’s—strong suit. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

15 Likes

Took a walk down to the beach yesterday and took some shots of some interesting rock formations. I have no geology knowledge but would love to know how the concentric circles form.

22 Likes

Someone else can explain the tortoise-shell, but at the bottom you obviously have a very hard, very thin layer with softer (sandstone?) sedimentary rock on either side. Given the width I’d guess that it was in fact igneous rock forced into a large fracture, but I’m not a real geologist, I can’t drink nearly enough.

12 Likes

That first photo almost looks like a decorative cobblestone. Very interesting.

I’ve seen swirly rock from metamorphic processes, but I’m not a geologist either.

7 Likes

Very late-in-the-day rainbow

19 Likes

Goldfinches!

(adjusted image a bit)

20 Likes

“Catch a ride!!”

8 Likes

First thing I thought when I saw this was, “wow her hair looks like protein,” before realizing her hair, like all hair, is made of protein.

Could the ad agency have done this knowingly?!

12 Likes