If You See Something (IRL), Post Something! (Part 1)

@FGD135’s link says it better than I ever could.

1 Like

Sure, I read that earlier today, but it was unclear if that’s what you were aiming for? Thanks for clarification.

1 Like

#TimApple

3 Likes

More to the point, what sort of person with money and means would willingly sit next to Donald Trump?

3 Likes

Counterquestion: what sort of person (or corporation) acquires this level of money and means, and how?
Right now, Apple is a bank that dabbles in consumer electronics as a sideline. But it doesn’t want to be treated like a bank. It’s also not overly fond of paying taxes, especially on all that lovely offshore money. And a full-scale trade war with China would be at least a major hassle, what with all the ‘designed in California’ hardware being built there.
So, just another business meeting.

2 Likes

Interesting. Could you explain how Apple is a bank?

Gentle reminder y’all, this thread is for notable things you see in the real world!

like this supernatural view of Lady Liberty from my office kitchen.

Or this children’s book finale, inexplicably full of subliminal butts and vulvas.

I know the internet is sorely lacking in a place for talk of politics and corporate financial shenanigans, but we’ll find a home for that stuff yet, I have faith :wink:

15 Likes

And these nifty pictures of ice in the alley-of-the-shadow-of-death outside my office (Previously. Have I become obsessed, or is my life just that small?):

14 Likes

Besides sitting on a large pile of cash, offering financial services and using practically every financial instrument there is at a huge international scale, they also own and control the world’s largest hedge fund. There is much, much more to Apple than sleek phones and nice computers.
Maybe not a bank in the classical sense, but quite probably what banking will be like in the near future. To quote The Street (link below): “For all intents and purposes, Apple is an undervalued bank.”

Seems like a contradiction at first glance, but isn’t:

2 Likes

Except even if you ignored him before, you should know now that Trump’s administration may as well be run by a pair of dice. Nothing he tells you has so much as a 30% chance of being true, and flattery will only ingratiate yourself to him for the length of his memory, which is about 30 minutes.

3 Likes

Given the tiny reserve rates banks are now allowed, Apple probably has more actual cash than any bank…

1 Like

If loving tiny, intricate environments is crazy, throw me in the boobyhatch, my friend. My sister-in-law owns property with a waterfall, and some of their frozen fall-spray is spectacular. I also have a collection of digital video of tiny spring runoff streams, including one of my favorites from coney island, replete with somehow beautiful cigarette butts and fast food wrapper scraps twinkling in the spring sunlight. Gotta track those down and make a supercut.

7 Likes

I’d really like to see this. I hope you can locate them.

4 Likes

Apple has more cash than most countries.

3 Likes

Did the (IRL) just appear in the title? I didn’t notice it before.

How about: snow on the ground in Mid-town Tucson.

Huge flakes coming down most of the day, which is how it stuck at all, since it was actually about 35° outside.

Two weeks ago Friday, I guess. Much of the snow was gone the next day, and it was over 90° yesterday.

12 Likes

Apple pay or whatever?

Last weekend, thanks in part to the snow, a good wildflower bloom on Picacho Peak

17 Likes

Also, we do sunsets here.

17 Likes

Yes, I added that just this morning along with my gentle reminder. It’s in the OP for this topic, but I popped it in the title.

also I SDOL (Said “Damn” Out Loud) in my office at that sunset shot.

6 Likes

And, so it happens, tonight.

Doesn’t really do it justice: violets, aquas, turquoises, wrapping around over 180°.

21 Likes