If you see the police, start recording

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/if-you-see-the-police-start-r.html

24 Likes

D.C. Police Chief: “Saturday’s protest 'may be one of the largest we’ve had in the city”

Roll Tape.

26 Likes

Now citizens, print this out and attach to every pole in your neighborhood

41 Likes

And make sure that is uploaded to a safe place before police can destroy or steal your phone.

41 Likes

The drones will be overhead so, don’t forget your umbrella.

38 Likes

These days everyone needs a body cam so that you can still use your phone while you record the police.

16 Likes
26 Likes

Ha! The surveillance state works both ways, motherfuckers!

15 Likes

No Mobile Justice to be had in Ohio. :slightly_frowning_face:
We could really use it here.

9 Likes

I don’t carry a cellphone or smartphone but I’d wear a bodycam in public if they were cheap and reliable.

10 Likes

Practice dry runs using your phone’s camera app before hand. (You don’t want to be fumbling with it, learning on the go, in a tense situation.)

If recording on the phone, get a feel for how much video you can record, battery use, etc. (For Scientology protests, I had a cheap video recorder that could record for hours. I hung it around my neck, always on.) Can you set it recording, then lock the phone? How do you upload video to a safe place? (See the ACLU app above.)

21 Likes

You can use the App from another state:

Officially, Mobile Justice CA is intended for use by people in California. However, the app does work in other states and will send videos and reports to an ACLU of California office. If you do use Mobile Justice CA outside of California, we will forward your submissions to your local ACLU if there appears to be a civil rights issue.

22 Likes

Thank you, that’s wonderful and welcome news!!

11 Likes

Every time in the future the Buffalo PD tries tweeting out some cutesy “we care” bs, this better be the first sub tweet.

14 Likes

I find it insulting they only come up with such a lame excuse.

If you do that, or if you use one of those tiny security cameras that record on SD cards, set it up to display the date and time in the video (and set the clock to the correct time).

16 Likes

And for the love of all that is decent and holy people, turn your phone sideways, film in landscape.

18 Likes

Have they considered switching to an arm band?

13 Likes

A friend of mine just pointed out that police uniforms and especially riot gear could have employee ID numbers printed on the front, back and sleeves like football player jerseys in large-ish lettering. Sports teams do this because it’s easy to read at a distance when everybody looks the same in protective gear. OFC they wouldn’t want that.

22 Likes

Maybe they save the armbands for when they are celebrating together with the rest of the bund?

6 Likes

They could also have their badge numbers laser-etched into their batons so you could tell by looking at the bruises who was doing the beating.

Or they could stop being used as shock squads.

15 Likes