If you’ve never written a screenplay before, here’s what you should know first

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/14/if-youve-never-written-a-sc.html

2 Likes
8 Likes

Bwaa!

5 Likes
7 Likes

I hadn’t noticed before that Darth Vader is just sitting in that Cloud City conference chamber, waiting for Lando to show up. I wonder what Vader and Boba Fett talked about?

3 Likes

Helmets, probably.

6 Likes

fnar

1 Like

So what they’re saying is, there’s a formula? Every movie has a similar structure and a set of rules you have to follow? Every one is the same? [insert film school French New Ave Reference here]

Vader: So… uh. About that time my friends showed up to rescue me from that gladiator pit and decapitated your dad…
Fett: I don’t want to talk about it.
Vader: Wait…is that the same helmet he was wearing when his head wa—
Fett: I said I don’t want to talk about it.

5 Likes

jfc, if you tried to contradict the original trilogy more you could hardly do a worse job than Lucas did.

It’s the conversation after everyone showed up that must have been awkward.

3 Likes

The difference between “INT. Beach - DAY” and “EXT. Beach - DAY” is tens of thousands of dollars.

1 Like

If you’ve never written a screenplay before, here’s what you should know first: “…an unproduced screenplay has a 0.3 percent chance of being made into a feature film by a studio.”

2 Likes

Those are better odds than I would have thought actually.

1 Like

Yes. Unless it’s a foreign film, because apparently abroad they don’t have access to this course.

1 Like

I believe they are referring to the actual format of the written screenplay. Years ago, I took a screenplay writing course. What I recall as being very important as far as “structure” was that movies run about 90 minutes and each written page of script takes up about a minute of viewing time. Therefore, if you want your movie actually made, your screenplay should be about 90 pages long.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.