Watch a Hollywood screenwriter write a scene from scratch in 7 minutes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/01/watch-a-hollywood-screenwriter.html

1 Like

I thought the process usually involves more cocaine.

11 Likes

Damnnnn, this was awesome! Thanks for sharing this. I don’t write screenplays, but I am a writer so it was fun to see how her method actually parallels my own in a lot of ways.

4 Likes

I just assumed they used TV Tropes random trope button. :grinning:

10 Likes

May I submit a screenplay for the comments section?

4 Likes

I’m starting to understand why so many action movies sound they were written in 7 minutes on a dare.

17 Likes

They can’t all be “Inception”. As the big-screen fare becomes more focused on blockbusters, a lot of the less hacky writers have moved to serialised prestige TV where the showrunners demand more than the typical big-budget feature film producer does.

An interesting article today on the wider topic from Matt Zoller Seitz:

2 Likes

Depends on the budget.

1 Like

Is that Final Draft? I thought the UI was more cluttered than that, but maybe the new version has a cleaner look?

That pretty much covers everything that is wrong with modern screenwriting way up now.

It would be interesting to see a video of someone who actually has a story to tell who is not just making up nonsense that sounds cool to them as they go along.

1 Like

Oh come on. She wasn’t working on a personal project or an open assignment for a studio. It was just an example arranged by Vanity Fair to give people a sense of what writing and revising from notes can be like. You know movies aren’t really made like this, right? I don’t know how you could be confused by this.

6 Likes

The entire process of telling a story is “making up nonsense that sounds cool to them as they go along.” That’s where stories come from.

5 Likes

That was really excellent. I love watching people who are good at their job, work.

It kind of makes me want to blow the dust of my text editor and write something.

2 Likes

So, in the future, people line up to… donate protein? At the place where all the protein is stored?

Do I want to know what this means?

3 Likes

1 Like

That was great! I would love to see more videos of screenwriters at work.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.